How much does a downward GPA trend hurt? 3.85

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysquared

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So my app just got verified a few days ago, and I got to see my year-by-year GPA. For each of the four years of college, I had a 4.0, 3.9, 3.6, and 3.8, for a final GPA of 3.85. I had similar trends for my BCPM (though junior year was a little higher, at 3.67) and AO (junior year was lower, at 3.53). I know that my overall GPA is fine, but I had never realized before how low just my junior year GPA was, especially AO. Does this count as a downward trend and should I explain it? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't think you need to explain how your 3.9 (great) GPA became a 3.6 (OK) for one year, before culminating in a 3.85 overall (great/very good). The only exception might be if you got a D or F that year or something in an important class, but other than that you would likely only introduce a problem where none exists by taking time to explain how your GPA plummeted from a 3.9 to a 3.6. I mean the average GPA for matriculants is like a 3.7, which means many matriculants likely had one or more years with a 3.6 or lower GPA.

Hi! So my app just got verified a few days ago, and I got to see my year-by-year GPA. For each of the four years of college, I had a 4.0, 3.9, 3.6, and 3.8, for a final GPA of 3.85. I had similar trends for my BCPM (though junior year was a little higher, at 3.67) and AO (junior year was lower, at 3.53). I know that my overall GPA is fine, but I had never realized before how low just my junior year GPA was, especially AO. Does this count as a downward trend and should I explain it? Thanks!!
Shut up

*edit. Meant it as an encouraging shut up. Like "shut up, you're fine."

Regina-George-Shut-Up.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
AO is not much regarded.

First off U shaped trends are very common and shouldn't be a concerns.

Second, chill out you never dropped below a 3.6....

How about a "n" shaped trend which culminated in a cumulative of 3.70, should I be on the xanax train as well?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! I'll calm down:p

You'll be fine. It wasn't like your trend was 4.0-3.7-3.5-3.4.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You'll be fine. It wasn't like your trend was 4.0-3.7-3.5-3.4.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

what about something like 4.0-->3.8-->3.1-->3.6

should i explain this somewhere on my app? during junior year i transferred to university while taking prereqs at my cc but i learned from my mistakes and went uphill during senior year

what about something like 4.0-->3.8-->3.1-->3.6

should i explain this somewhere on my app? during junior year i transferred to university while taking prereqs at my cc but i learned from my mistakes and went uphill during senior year
I would only go out of my way to explain it if almost all of your prereqs were in that year. If you took orgo1/2 and physics 1/2 and a bio class or two in that time, I would maybe think about explaining. I would have a well-polished response ready for interviews though.

I would only go out of my way to explain it if almost all of your prereqs were in that year. If you took orgo1/2 and physics 1/2 and a bio class or two in that time, I would maybe think about explaining. I would have a well-polished response ready for interviews though.

i took orgo 1 and physics 2 during that year at my cc while being full time at university so it really took a toll on me but it definately taught me how to better manage my time and balance my coursework (which I adjusted better during senior year)