How much does a PT earn if he or she has private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigbirdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If is rare or difficult for a PTs to open a private practice? How much can they earn if they they do? Please give me a range

Members don't see this ad.

If is rare or difficult for a PTs to open a private practice? How much can they earn if they they do? Please give me a range

I believe somewhere around 100-150k would be an estimated range for most successful PT owners after expenses. Others may have to scrape by if not doing as well and earn less.

Last year my class went to a forum where local PT business owners discussed how they brought their private practice from the ground up, a lot of different interesting stories. But depending on how successful the business is (all depending on location, referals, word of mouth) will reflect how much they make. They can easily make 6 figures certainly not in the first few years of opening though. They did state that most pt practices, not sure if its the area I live in (dmv) or nationwide, dont make it within their first couple years of opening.

I believe somewhere around 100-150k would be an estimated range for most successful PT owners after expenses. Others may have to scrape by if not doing as well and earn less.

I don't mean to come off like I'm attacking you, but what is your source for these figures?

The question that the OP poses should be answered by a primary source. Speculation will not help in this situation, and could be quite misleading.

Like any other business, it seems to me that the range could be very broad. What type of private practice are they running? Orthopedics? Pediatrics? Home health? What geographic location is this practice located in? How many patients does this "successful" practice see per week? How many clinicians does the practice employ? Support staff? What was the amount of the initial business loan?

The OP's question is a rather open-ended question that requires a nuanced answer. It shouldn't be addressed by people (myself included) who do not own clinics, much less haven't finished PT school.