How much $ does an international student (from Canada) have to spend studying in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how much does an international student (from Canada) have to spend on average in his/her 4 yr medschool education (including living expensive, books, rents, etc..)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
I am wondering how much does an international student (from Canada) have to spend on average in his/her 4 yr medschool education (including living expensive, books, rents, etc..)?

This varies because living expenses vary from state to state. You're probably looking at $25,000 US for tuition a year because even if you got into a state school you'd have to pay the out-of-state tuition price. More than likely, you'd be at a private school and paying the same as everyone else. If you're in Boston, you'll pay around $1000 US a month on rent. You'll need that monthly T pass unless you brought a car which is an even bigger expense cuz parking is impossible and upkeep is expensive. Books are about the same in the US and Canada...like I just recently bought the First Aid book..it's $32 for the US and $44 CDN which is about equal with the exchange rate. I probably spent $300US on books my first year but I also got Rohen, Netter, Moore & Dalley, Robbins, and Medical Micro for free and we had to spend an add'l $800 CDN for the notes for our classes.

I fly between Cincinnati (where parents live) and Montreal 2 or 3 times a year. That's $400 US a flight because I fly Delta and they have a strangle-hold on the Cinci airport and it's an int'l flight.

I'd bet you'll need 40,000 US per year giving you $160,000US total plus maybe more for the incredible cost of travelling to residency interviews fourth year (esp. if you are trying to match in Canada and keep racking up int'l flights). With today's exchange rate, that's $211,500 CDN dollars to go to med school in the States.

i say it's more than $25000. my tuition here was 25000 when i started, but it's now 36000... don't forget that your tuition may increase significantly over the 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition about 35,000USD + Living and Books and Insurance... 15,000$ USD
= 50,000$USD

forgot to add.. over 4 years... equals 200,000$USD

for a total of 300K Canadian... makes about 1,000$ a month student loan payment... well maybe a bit more depending at interest. It is definitely not for the weak hearted.

docbill said:
for a total of 300K Canadian... makes about 1,000$ a month student loan payment... well maybe a bit more depending at interest. It is definitely not for the weak hearted.

Well, with today's exchange rate it's only $260,000 CDN. And I would assume most Canadians that go to med school in the states will also match for residency in the states and then work in the states so then you're just like every other private-med-school grad with the exact same loan payments. Of course, some will go back to Canada...I'm just generalizing.

yeah.. that is correct... most will have an easier job matching in the US and will get a residency there... and most likely not come back to Canada.

Either way it is a long travel.. and if one doesn't manage to finish.. then it is bad newsssss. Also loan providers are harder to find.

It is ofcourse do-able and once successful it will be no problem to pay off the loan.