Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How much does Community College hurt an applicant?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Wiesal, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Wiesal

Wiesal Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I know adcoms care where you go to school. Let's assume you transfer after you receive your associate's degree to a respectable university. How much does this disadvantage an individual?

2. DokterMom

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It's mostly in the timing.

Taking your first two years at a CC, then transferring to a university says either that you're cost-conscious or not well off (neither one a bad thing) or that you may have been immature in high school and needed to prove yourself/grow up at a CC before attending a four-year university (also not a bad thing).

Starting at a four-year university and taking what are normally your hardest science classes at a CC says either that you lack confidence or are trying to game the system, neither of which is a good thing.

Graduating from a four-year university and taking science classes at a CC post-graduation generally says that you came 'late' to the medical game. If your UG academic record is very strong, this is probably fine; though taking more of the 'hard' science classes at a university would be preferable.

You want to 'prove your chops' academically at the four-year university, so applying after you've established a strong track record there is important.

Also, some medical schools won't accept CC credits for required science courses, so do check.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wiesal likes this.
  3. cantankerous

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think most universities don't allow that for undergraduate anyway....

4. On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings To Make Man Whole
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You will not be disadvantaged if you transfer to a good 4 year university after receiving an associate's degree from a CC. I needed to do my undergrad in the most cost-effective way possible, so I did 2 years at a CC and got my AA before transferring to the cheapest and nearest state university. I ended up having a great application cycle.

Some medical schools don't accept CC credits, though. I think Creighton is one of them. You will be fine at all CA schools ( I can't vouch for any other schools, sorry)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Wiesal

Wiesal Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    All of my worrying is finally relieved :clap:

On Eagle's Wings likes this.
  6. mw18

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, don't worry. I attended a university, didn't do well. After I decided on medicine, I went to a cc and did very well. Then transferred to a 4 year and it was fine. I did do all of my prereqs at the university level, though.

Almost all universities will let you do this as a transient student, maybe over the summer. You can say you're going home to see your parents and are taking a class or two. But adcoms will see right through it and it will reflect negatively on your work ethic. Because if you're scared of the challenge of organic or physics at a university, how will you feel about the preclinical years of med school? (obviously not you)

DokterMom and Wiesal like this.
  7. Hospitalized

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Source on the Creighton part of that?

8. mw18

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Creighton has an odd list of prereqs on MSAR. According to MSAR, the only courses that are required are Biochem, English, Statistics, and Physiology. According to MSAR, you cannot take Biochem or Physiology at a cc.

Of the recommended courses, you can't take biology, genetics, organic, or physics there either. I'm not sure why they have this if they are just recommended. But perhaps they give people extra points for taking recommended classes and you aren't eligible if you take these at a CC.