How much does having an accent hurt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x10694

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically i have a FOB accent and right down going through accent reduction studies...

Members don't see this ad.

FOB accents rule! Why the hell would you want to change it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an accent, too, but it's usually more obvious when I'm stressed (e.g. during an interview :rolleyes: lol). In real life, a lot of people don't notice it, or don't realize it's a foreign accent. When I lived in Minnesota, I'd be asked if I'm from Texas or elsewhere down South, and when I lived in Mississippi, I was always asked if I were from Boston or something. Pretty ironic, no.:laugh: I'm not sweating it....there's not a whole lot you can do about it. For me, it's somewhat exacerbated by a minor speech impediment, so if I realize someone's having a hard time understanding me (VERY rare), I speak a bit slower and make sure my intonation is engaging them - if you are just droning on and on on the same note, it makes it harder for people to stay alert and understand what you're saying.

just relax and speak at a good pace -- no matter what kind of accent you have, it is amplified x1000 when you speak fast, so don't rush if you get nervous or anything!!

If it's a British accent, I think it could only help.

Seriously though, I know med students who have fob accents. Granted, they're not incredibly thick or anything, but definitely there.

um, what about redneck accents? :oops:

in that case:

British/Australian/S. African (basically everything that can be confused with british)= helpful, but only in the minor subconcious sense that americans like these accents.

everything else: meh.

ooooh if we use that terminology does that mean i can claim myself as a urm?

(JOKING)
Well, I DO think rednecks might be underrepresented in medicine..or law....or big corporations...or institutions of post-secondary education...:laugh:

haha. . . .that's why they're rednecks.

maybe, but bill clinton would disagree with you. remember his talk about different "bubbas" and social status?

btw, can i petition AMCAS to add "Colored Neck-American?"

I have an accent too, but it has never hurt me. First of all, it is really rude for somebody to really point it out as a negative thing.
Second of all, look at it as a positive. You are bilingual and that can't hurt. Stress the fact that you speak English well. Stress the fact that through your experiences you understand how other immigrants would feel. As long as your interviewer can understand you, you will be fine.
If your accent is heavier when you are stressed, make sure you slow down--you may appear to be thoughtful:)

FOB means fresh off the boat, not fresh out of boat. :)