dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
you mean to buy a land, and build it yourself?

It all depends on how much you bought the land for, how big the office is going to be, and most importantly, the contractor you hire to build it, how much he will charge you.

My father is a retired contractor but he knows this stuff very well. He actually built my sister's office in 2008. The land was purchased VERY cheap about 10 years ago (for 50k)... and the cost of building it for him was about 180k... total about 230k... HOWEVER this is becuase he knew what he was doing. Most people don't have retired contractor dads know what they are doing.... and in this case, and it will cost them about 2-3x times as much. If it was someone who doesn't know wtf is going on, it could have easily cost between 400-600+K easily

SuperTank

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Dental Student
you mean to buy a land, and build it yourself?

It all depends on how much you bought the land for, how big the office is going to be, and most importantly, the contractor you hire to build it, how much he will charge you.

My father is a retired contractor but he knows this stuff very well. He actually built my sister's office in 2008. The land was purchased VERY cheap about 10 years ago (for 50k)... and the cost of building it for him was about 180k... total about 230k... HOWEVER this is becuase he knew what he was doing. Most people don't have retired contractor dads know what they are doing.... and in this case, and it will cost them about 2-3x times as much. If it was someone who doesn't know wtf is going on, it could have easily cost between 400-600+K easily
I don't think he was wanting to know the cost of building a practice LITERALLY. I think he is more interested in knowing how much it would cost to lease a building, buy equipment, hire staff, etc. :)

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
depends on location, patient pool, equipment, whether you buy or lease the building, etc.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
I don't think he was wanting to know the cost of building a practice LITERALLY. I think he is more interested in knowing how much it would cost to lease a building, buy equipment, hire staff, etc. :)
oh... well the thread name said "...cost to open my own practice"
Figured thats what he was referring to

OU11BB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status
Dental Student
average pano 50k
nice adec chair and operatory 70k EACH
autoclave, ultasonic 8-10k
digital xrays 30k "schick"
who knows about the operating system, severs, hardware etc. alot
handpieces 1000 bucks a pop.

it gets expensive quick.

oh ya vacuum pump 5K

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Philly
Status
Dental Student
one milllllion dollars! <holds pinky up and moves to edge of mouth>

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago
Status
Dental Student
average pano 50k
nice adec chair and operatory 70k EACH
autoclave, ultasonic 8-10k
digital xrays 30k "schick"
who knows about the operating system, severs, hardware etc. alot
handpieces 1000 bucks a pop.

it gets expensive quick.

oh ya vacuum pump 5K
the office i work at uses Eaglesoft for our computer operating system and I know it cost around 10 grand

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2009
Status
Dentist
lol @ this troll. screename gives it away.

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2010
Duh
Status
A nice practice in the city with 6 chairs and all the bells and whistles? Around a half a mil.

A practice in a small town where few want to live and all the dentists are near retirement age? The cost of used equipment and a lease. Maybe $20,000?