How much does it help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get your guys opinions on something. I am applying next cycle and my stats are mediocre, if not low, (for the school I am discussing) 3.75 and 34 and I am debating applying to Harvard or trying to figure out if it would be a waste of my time.

How much do you think two years of research in a lab where my PI is a professor at Harvard Med will help. He has already written me a stellar recommendation. Any thoughts/feelings would be greatly appreciated!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Its harvard man. no GPA/MCAT or amount of years with a Harvard PI is going to make you a sure thing. Do you have a competitive app in general? Yes. But again, its Harvard. There will be plenty of people with MORE impressive stats and LORs that get rejected. That being said, just apply and see what happens. But DEFINITELY apply elsewhere too.

i would say definitely at least try, you never know. there are no guarantees in applying to med school. it's like jumping off a cliff and hoping something will catch you eventually :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Like you, I have a 34 MCAT and have worked for PIs affiliated with Harvard Med, who wrote me strong LORs. I somehow managed to swing a HST and New Pathway interview. Of course I haven't been accepted there, but you absolutely have a chance at an interview even if your numbers are below HMS' average. Like other posters said, Harvard is a shoo in for no one so definitely apply to other schools as well.

Like you, I have a 34 MCAT and have worked for PIs affiliated with Harvard Med, who wrote me strong LORs. I somehow managed to swing a HST and New Pathway interview. Of course I haven't been accepted there, but you absolutely have a chance at an interview even if your numbers are below HMS' average. Like other posters said, Harvard is a shoo in for no one so definitely apply to other schools as well.

but you have a 3.97 vs their 3.75...

op, why specifically (and only?) harvard?

Well, if you take into account that their application has no essays unless you're a reapplicant or have graduated already, it could potentially be a waste of a whole five minutes (and a lot more dollars, proportionally). Go for it.:thumbup:

I'd imagine research at Harvard and a strong rec from your PI would help a bit, but as has been mentioned, it's always a crapshoot at schools like that. You're going to be up against people who have phenomenal experiences and scores to match. You definitely should never, ever bank on getting into a school like that, regardless of how qualified you are. Applying is not a waste of your time, but be smart and apply broadly. You're going to learn the same things at any med scholol as you'd learn at Harvard. The research opportunities might not be as great or numerous, but the education will be pretty darn close.

dude you should just be happy with those stats, harvard or not, you know you're going to be a doctor

if you only want to go to harvard and not any other medical school, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons. otherwise try to get your gpa up and make sure your EC's make you stand out.

if you only want to go to harvard and not any other medical school, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons. otherwise try to get your gpa up and make sure your EC's make you stand out.

This response makes no sense, I was simply asking if everyone thought it was a waste of time because I feel that with my stats alone I am not a strong candidate, although, I feel my extensive research with professors there should help a bit.

I am in no way shape or form 'counting' on getting into Harvard and even if I did get in, my top choice hands down is my state school.... stop being so neurotic