How much does it increases your chances of acceptance if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. You have a family member who went to the same school you are applying for?

2. You were a volunteer for the medical school's hospital? (and have an LOR from there)

3. You apply the first day you can? (I heard that applying early for DOs is insignificant, is this true)?

I know that these are not major factors in the school's decision, but am interested to know how much they could "move the needle" so to speak.

Members don't see this ad.

Number 3 plays a major role in the success of your cycle especially if you're a borderline applicant with average to less than average stats. A strong letter from an alumni of a specific school will help a lot as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
None

None
2. You were a volunteer for the medical school's hospital? (and have an LOR from there)

Helps you get an earlier interview.
3. You apply the first day you can? (I heard that applying early for DOs is insignificant, is this true)?

Getting accepted is 100% on you. getting a DO LOR and shadowing a DO always helps.

Reactions: 1 user

I know that these are not major factors in the school's decision, but am interested to know how much they could "move the needle" so to speak.

Depends on all 3.
1. Is that person now on the board of directors and major donor? Is this a major school like Harvard?
2. Beats not volunteering at a hospital at all. Perhaps a tiny bit if the LOR writer is well known and respected.
3. Applying early and broadly helps in getting interviews.

So how much does it all help? My answer is 42!

I had all of these three conditions met and it did not help for that particular school. I am happier with where I ended up anyway so it all works out in the end. I agree with @Goro, it's all up to you, don't rely on "connections" and "backdoors." Simply put together the best application you can.

Reactions: 1 users