How much does Medical School cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless your parents or supporters are 10k a day CEO's, you'll probably need to loans. As far as in-state and out-of-state tuitions go, most of the time, you can become in-state after first year.

I'm gonna guess it'll be over 200k if you're not living with someone. I hope this doesn't discourage you, since you're pretty much guaranteed to become a doctor if you're going to med school. So paying off that bill shouldn't be a scare.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cost of living isn't counted, so that's like another 20K - 30K per year, so you're looking at 70K - 80K per year for tuition and living.

Go to med school and spend 2,500 a month on living expenses? How can it be THAT high? I would assume rent would be like less then 1k (unless you go to NYC or cali?) and food(unless you're a fat as hell) should be around $200 a month. Gas for car is around $80 a month. New clothes (if you care, it's 1 shirt every 2 weeks from Express) $100 a month. So that's about $1380. I don't think i'm missing anything. (i'm not counting clubbing or going out for drinks in this, cause you'll most likely not even have time for that kind of stuff in med school. And besides, if you're a girl, it'll be free.)

EDIT: man, 1380 per month is still expensive as hell lol. I seriously hope i can get into the med school of my choice.

I hope this doesn't discourage you, since you're pretty much guaranteed to become a doctor if you're going to med school. So paying off that bill shouldn't be a scare.

Can you elaborate on this? How does going to medical school guarantee you become a doctor? I thought there were a bunch of tests like USLME step 1 and 2, and that med school is really difficult!

med school is basically the sieve. it's very hard to get in but once you do, you have a strong support system.

Go to med school and spend 2,500 a month on living expenses? How can it be THAT high? I would assume rent would be like less then 1k (unless you go to NYC or cali?) and food(unless you're a fat as hell) should be around $200 a month. Gas for car is around $80 a month. New clothes (if you care, it's 1 shirt every 2 weeks from Express) $100 a month. So that's about $1380. I don't think i'm missing anything. (i'm not counting clubbing or going out for drinks in this, cause you'll most likely not even have time for that kind of stuff in med school. And besides, if you're a girl, it'll be free.)

EDIT: man, 1380 per month is still expensive as hell lol. I seriously hope i can get into the med school of my choice.

Rent + Utilities: $750 on average if you live with a roommate
Food: $250 say you eat out twice a month
Other groceries: $50
Car/Transportation: $100 includes gas/parking
Car insurance/Cell phone bill/ Life insurance: $100
Large Expense: Visiting family on holidays/Other large expenses you can't plan for: $50
Health Insurance through the school if you are not covered: $200

That is $1500 right there without spending any money on things to do for fun. Also books and medical equipment ~ $1000 a year , Step I costs $535 for the test alone, Step II costs $1140 + around $4000 traveling to interviews.

Can you elaborate on this? How does going to medical school guarantee you become a doctor? I thought there were a bunch of tests like USLME step 1 and 2, and that med school is really difficult!

If you look at one of your undergrad classes, you'll notice how everyone is premed major...but literally only 10% will ACTUALLY become doctors.

If you look at a class of medical students IN medical school, 90% of them will be a doctor.

The reason being is that the difficulty it took to get INTO medical school is motivation enough to keep going and not give up. Medical school is hard, but it's nothing you can't handle if you got in. (i'm not trying to say medical school is easier then undergrad. I'm trying to say that you WON'T fail cause you'll live and breath medicine and won't want to have all your hard work go to waste).

My brother spend maybe ~$10k on living expenses in medical school (in Philly), but his car payment/insurance/gas, cell phone, refrigerated food, health insurance were covered by our parents.

Theres a lot more expenses that you guys may not even be considering. For instance, gas is going to cost you alot more than 80 dollars a month once you start having to drive around for rotations, clinical exposure, ect. At these things, you are going to need to wear nice clothes, which are going to need to be dry cleaned ($$) unless you want to have to buy new clothes ($$$). this is just an example. take a look at a school's total cost of attendance data sheet, and it will show you exactly how much they expect you to spend on stuff based on the consumer price index and cost of living

And besides, if you're a pretty girl, it'll be free.)

Fixed.

Well it costs too much. My loan is 80k and I die a little inside every time I look at my loan paper. Bonus question: how much should one pay in rent if allowed 14.5k for room and board?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at a class of medical students IN medical school, 90% of them will be a doctor.

That's an awfully low percentage. The did-not-graduate rate at LCME accredited medical schools was in the low single digits the last time I checked. I'm not sure a school with only 90% graduation could even remain accredited.

Do you have a source for your number?

I have to chuckle a bit reading this :) I agree with the post above about only 10% of "pre-meds" actually sticking with it hard enough to make it to med school. Those are the people that will actually become doctors, and for most of them, they wouldn't accept anything less in life. Therefore, the idea of making it to med school and NOT becoming a doctor, doesn't exist. Once you get in to med school, you just step up to the plate. Yeah it's ridiculously hard and overwhelming at times because of the amount of information. But, if you are really cut out for this career, you are interested in most of what you are studying, and almost enjoy it, or at least accept that it's what you have to do and learn to become a physician.

Here is some great financial information about medical school. Specifically the Debt Manager PDF. https://www.aamc.org/students/financing/

I have to chuckle a bit reading this :) I agree with the post above about only 10% of "pre-meds" actually sticking with it hard enough to make it to med school. Those are the people that will actually become doctors, and for most of them, they wouldn't accept anything less in life. Therefore, the idea of making it to med school and NOT becoming a doctor, doesn't exist. Once you get in to med school, you just step up to the plate. Yeah it's ridiculously hard and overwhelming at times because of the amount of information. But, if you are really cut out for this career, you are interested in most of what you are studying, and almost enjoy it, or at least accept that it's what you have to do and learn to become a physician.

Here is some great financial information about medical school. Specifically the Debt Manager PDF. https://www.aamc.org/students/financing/

that and attrition rate for those accepted is very low. Something like 1.5% total over the entire 4 years for US MD schools. So if 98.5% of matriculated students pass and graduate (even if they take an extra year or two to do it) it is not unreasonable to assume that, even by odds alone, that admission = graduation (although to make that assumption and then sit on your ass and wait for it to happen would be a mistake :laugh:)

I think this is a pretty refreshing sentiment. For those who want to do it, ya gotta do it! No other option. How I got through the MCAT=everyone else before me did it and there's no point in complaining because it's got to be done!

COA varies but I think the average total cost per year at a state school (including everything and cost of living) is 40-50k and private is 60-80k. Don't count financial aid out, although most schools are bad with giving it to the middle class. It's expensive-you could consider armed forces, service repayment, or doing MD/PhD programs.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. Everyone who graduates medical school will become a doctor. A licensed, practicing physician is another story, and requires a few additional hurdles, but by definition, if you graduate medical school, you are a medical doctor.

And very, very few people don't manage to graduate from med school (at least, US medical schools; Caribbean schools are a whole other ball game). That's one of the reasons it's so difficult to get in.

Rent + Utilities: $750 on average if you live with a roommate
Food: $250 say you eat out twice a month
Other groceries: $50
Car/Transportation: $100 includes gas/parking
Car insurance/Cell phone bill/ Life insurance: $100
Large Expense: Visiting family on holidays/Other large expenses you can't plan for: $50
Health Insurance through the school if you are not covered: $200

That is $1500 right there without spending any money on things to do for fun. Also books and medical equipment ~ $1000 a year , Step I costs $535 for the test alone, Step II costs $1140 + around $4000 traveling to interviews.

My budget is $1125 every month, plus an additional $500 or so per year for books and other miscellaneous expenses. That doesn't include board exams, but I do manage to budget in a vacation each year. Also doesn't include health insurance, since that's a flat rate twice a year the way my school does it, or car insurance (my mom foots that bill for me). There are some areas of the country where cost of living is significantly more, and others were it is significantly less.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. Everyone who graduates medical school will become a doctor. A licensed, practicing physician is another story, and requires a few additional hurdles, but by definition, if you graduate medical school, you are a medical doctor.

What are some of the common reasons for people leaving medical school then?

I guess a better question then is What is the percent of people who practice medicine who graduate medical school?

What are some of the common reasons for people leaving medical school then?

Not passing your classes repeatedly, not passing the board exams repeatedly, felony crime, simply loosing interest, etc

I guess a better question then is What is the percent of people who practice medicine who graduate medical school?

Your wording is very odd but I think you are asking how many US MD grads go on to practice medicine, right? Very close to 100%. Maybe some more drop out or die during residency but it is very, very few

My loans are for COA and are 75k for years 1/2 and 84k for years 3/4.

Thanks guys, I just wanted to know how much Med School costs, and the percent that become practicing physicians to know if I can pay off all that debt!