How much does "overrepresented in medicine" really hurt your chances?

• Thread starter LoveBeingHuman:)
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

Members don't see this ad.

Stop it.

Reactions: 5 users
I wouldn't look at it as being ORM hurting your chances. More like being URM is an extra leg up.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The AAMC charts will show you that the proportion of ORMs who get in with a given MCAT and GPA is lower than that of whites by anywhere from 2-10% for many of the GPA/MCAT combinations. For GPA/MCAT combinations that tend to be competitive but still somewhat borderline(ie 3.4-3.6/30-32 MCAT) you'll find on average 6-7% drop in ORMs who got in with those stats than Whites.

The bigger thing though to look at why this can be happening. 1/3 of Asian population in the US is from California. Only 10% of white population is from Cali. And as we know CA, has it worse than anybody for admission. Likewise, look at the "lucky" states demographics; states like WV, SC, ARK, AL, LA, MS, ND, SD, KA, etc. Very few Asians exist in many of these states. The proportion of population that is white here is far far far higher here. On top of that, keep in mind internationals have a far far lower acceptance rate for US MD schools. There will be tons of Asians who are internationals applying which will lower their stats as well.

All in all, you could argue there are disadvantages ORMs face in the process. And IMO there are certainly flaws(some significant ones) with how the system incorporates race into admission. But the general SDN consensus you see from many that "ORMs are at some real disadvantage" is largely overblown. You can definitely account for a fair amount of the lower acceptance rates for Asians than whites for GPA/MCAT combinations by looking at demographic info.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't look at it as being ORM hurting your chances. More like being URM is an extra leg up.

There are limited seats in medical schools. If schools discriminate for certain ethnic groups, then they are discriminating against whites, asians etc.

edit: inb4 URM thread is locked

Reactions: 1 users
The AAMC charts will show you that the proportion of ORMs who get in with a given MCAT and GPA is lower than that of whites by anywhere from 2-10% for many of the GPA/MCAT combinations. For GPA/MCAT combinations that tend to be competitive but still somewhat borderline(ie 3.4-3.6/30-32 MCAT) you'll find on average 6-7% drop in ORMs who got in with those stats than Whites.

The bigger thing though to look at why this can be happening. 1/3 of Asian population in the US is from California. Only 10% of white population is from Cali. And as we know CA, has it worse than anybody for admission. Likewise, look at the "lucky" states demographics; states like WV, SC, ARK, AL, LA, MS, ND, SD, KA, etc. Very few Asians exist in many of these states. The proportion of population that is white here is far far far higher here. On top of that, keep in mind internationals have a far far lower acceptance rate for US MD schools. There will be tons of Asians who are internationals applying which will lower their stats as well.

All in all, you could argue there are disadvantages ORMs face in the process. And IMO there are certainly flaws(some significant ones) with how the system incorporates race into admission. But the general SDN consensus you see from many that "ORMs are at some real disadvantage" is largely overblown. You can definitely account for a fair amount of the lower acceptance rates for Asians than whites for GPA/MCAT combinations by looking at demographic info.
Aren't white and asian both included in "over represented in medicine" ?

Reactions: 1 user
There are limited seats in medical schools. If schools discriminate for certain ethnic groups, then they are discriminating against whites, asians etc.

edit: inb4 URM thread is locked

I find this zero-sum-game argument to be really unsatisfying. Honestly, you're probably competing directly against students who are most similar to you. I don't think it's a situation where they're saying "Oh, this LizzyM 80 ORM isn't going to get in because we're going to pick the LizzyM 70 URM instead." It's more like "How do we choose between these two 80/ORM students?"

Okay. Just so long as you're kidding. I don't know anything about clickhole.

Okay. Just so long as you're kidding. I don't know anything about clickhole.

it's the onion's parody site of Buzzfeed, dip.ly, and basically anything that George Takei posts on his facebook wall. The line "Seriously, just take a look at the racial makeup of this place: In a single classroom alone, there are 40 or 50 kids, and—you guessed it—pretty much all of them are black." was particularly well done.

for reference... http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life...070615&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=Twitter

it's the onion's parody site of Buzzfeed, dip.ly, and basically anything that George Takei posts on his facebook wall. The line "Seriously, just take a look at the racial makeup of this place: In a single classroom alone, there are 40 or 50 kids, and—you guessed it—pretty much all of them are black." was particularly well done.

for reference... http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life...070615&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=Twitter

Thank you very much. I'm gonna go read a lot of these articles now. :thumbup:

it's clickhole... yes I am. (I saw this article this AM and though "I'm going to save this for the next affirmative action thread... just because)
You got it twisted. This ain't an AA/URM thread, it's an ORM thread.

Aren't white and asian both included in "over represented in medicine" ?

No. The proportion of white doctors training is proportional to the amount of white people in the population. That's a fact, I heard it somewhere.

No. The proportion of white doctors training is proportional to the amount of white people in the population. That's a fact, I heard it somewhere.
I believe URM/ORM refers to the population demographics of physicians, not students

or maybe both?

Overall a higher percentage of ORMs are admitted than URMs at the end of the day, and that's even after dealing with things like the demographic effect of having damn near 2/3 of the Asian population clustered in less than 10 states.