How much does showing interest in a residency program matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifes-an-eye-ball

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you don't tell a [top, desirable] program they're your first choice, do you still have a chance of matching there?

Residents I met on the interview trail often said that it was important to express interest in a program's location during my interviews. How much does expressing this kind of interest actually make a difference?

How much do phone calls from mentors matter? I've heard mixed reports based on the mixed results of people who matched at programs their mentors made calls to and those who did not match at such programs. I read a study somewhere that said that only a minority of PDs trust what mentors and applicants say about their interest in programs. Does this apply to ophtho too?

Matching is a puzzling process!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I don't think it matters at all if you tell your top choice that you are ranking them #1. I'm sure they hear the same old story over and over again. For the most part, they "score" you on the same day as your interview and that's basically it.

2) I do think that calls from mentors can make a difference (either good or bad). Ophtho is a small field, and if a colleague was staking his reputation on a med student, then it would hold some sway with me. I think these phone calls have a much greater impact for fellowship placement. But I definitely know of some mediocre med students who matched in top programs because their med school Ophtho mentors absolutely loved them, and thus called up their big-wig friends.

Regarding #2 - it does help for fellowship placement. However, you have to keep in mind that there is often one spot for fellowship with several candidates that might be a good fit with well known mentors. So, sometimes it can't help as much as you would like and you have to see how the match plays out based on applicant ranking as well. Ie: your #1 may not be your co applicants #1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile