How much does your undergrad. school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike4284m

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attend a smaller college in NY, and will have about 500 people in our graduating class. I feel like this may work against me for applications because from what I've seen medical schools seem to prefer applicants from more "well known" undergrad schools.

I understand grades, mcat, and experience are more important, but if I'm doing pretty well in all those things do you think my choice of undergard. school will make any difference at all? Maybe I'm just paranoid . . . :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Mike4284m said:
I attend a smaller college in NY, and will have about 500 people in our graduating class. I feel like this may work against me for applications because from what I've seen medical schools seem to prefer applicants from more "well known" undergrad schools.

I understand grades, mcat, and experience are more important, but if I'm doing pretty well in all those things do you think my choice of undergard. school will make any difference at all? Maybe I'm just paranoid . . . :scared:
the simple answer is yes. To what extent matters from school to school. Do you search there are a ton of threads about this.