Oct 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Besides going to school in a car?

Frankly I'm starting to get bummed out by all the driving I have to do as a pre-med...

Sep 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm really not too sure what you mean by this.. all my driving is too school then home but I'm also doing EMT courses so I drive to clinicals.

speedwalker

don't @ me
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
CA
Status
Pre-Medical
Go to school in the city and use a bike? Is that possible

Last edited:
Reactions: ODea
About the Ads
Sep 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Go to school in the city and use a bike? Is that possible
**** that depending on where it's at winter time that would be brutal. Some schools have apartments like 5 mins away or even dorms. Classes I don't see them having you drive random places if they do car pool.

Reactions: speedwalker

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
First two years: little to none
Last two, it's gonna vary a lot school to school. Some you will spend virtually all your time at the main hospital and others will roatate you through many different sites that could be all over town or states. Then there are 4th year rotations you may want to do at other schools.

Jul 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Probably depends on the school? You get a good idea of their clinical sites during interviews. Most have a main hospital next door.

I do feel you. I took post-bacc classes at night 45 minutes away from home while working. It was not fun.

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
My school says they require a car 3rd and 4th year because your rotations can be all over the place.

Reactions: mistafab

jcorpsmanMD

2+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2017
Republic of Texas
Status
Medical Student
My car has been collecting dust in the parking garage at my apartment. I only use it on the weekends to go get groceries, run errands, etc. Other then that I walk to school or take a shuttle to school. Planning on an investing a bike, don't have to worry about snow where I'm at.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
How much driving do you have to do in med school?
Besides going to school in a car?

Frankly I'm starting to get bummed out by all the driving I have to do as a pre-med...
Some schools start early clinical exposure the first year and you are required to travel to a preceptor's office (assigned by lottery). This might be within reach of public transportation, but I've heard of drives 20 minutes to 1.5 hours away, required weekly to monthly.

Reactions: mistafab

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
As much or as little as I want. This will probably change in third year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I lived on campus for all 5 of my years, didn't own a car.

mistafab

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student
This is a good question to ask students at the schools you eventually interview at. My school is pretty good about the first two years. Third year rotations have some specific sites my compadres go to that are a little bit of a ways away, requiring car or carpooling. Fourth year is going to be up to you somewhat.

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
First two year are usually pretty good/easy to do without a car. Just find a friend with a car or navigate the train/bus system and you'll be fine. Once you start rotations, you'll probably need a car since many schools have sites that you rotate at other than the main hospital that are farther away.

About the Ads