NEMC

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
For example, J-1 visa? I had thought that as long as that program sponsor J-1, there is not much difference from citizen or green card holders. But the reality is not like what I thought..
But what is behind this, because fellowship program get less funding or because of waht real document?

spyrogyra1

Pulmonary Fellow Royale
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Surprisingly a J1 is better than a H1B
thats because medicare pays less for a H1B ,hence the cut for H1B by fellowships programs. It may actually pay off to get a J1 nowadays.The delay of getting permanent residency is offset by the increased chance of getting a decnt job.
anyways
yes the visa matters a lot
But with a J1 you could still get into a lot of decent programs
In fact a lot of the top academic programs tend to support J1s
Some of the smaller programs which cannot absorb extra cost tend to shun visa holders.

Renovar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2002
Status (Visible)
For example, J-1 visa? I had thought that as long as that program sponsor J-1, there is not much difference from citizen or green card holders. But the reality is not like what I thought..
But what is behind this, because fellowship program get less funding or because of waht real document?

Just like residency it has a tremendous impact on where you can go for fellowship. Some hospitals/department have hard policies on NO H1B's. No matter how good you are, and how good your credentials are, the hospital just will NOT support it. (The UT system and Wash U-Barnes are good examples).

H1Bs tend to be supported by a lot fewer academic programs than J1. Only under exceptional circumstances will they sponsor it, and a lot of times only to graduates of american/canadian medical schools (but foreign citizens, like myself). Sometimes they wont even bother. H1B's are a lot of extra paper work and make programs stick out their neck for you (ie. It makes THEM responsible if you leave the program or if they fire you). Tons of paperwork, long waiting line, and sometimes a lot of cost makes programs think twice.

J1 is a lot easier to get, and paperwork is a lot easier and no quota, etc.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.