How much emphasis does Pharmacy schools place on ECs like school organizations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iZodliquify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I have two jobs. I'm a Pharmacy Technician and I work Retail at a store. Both jobs are part time. I work minimum 12 hrs each week and max 14 hrs. Lol I know it's not a lot but to me it feels like a lot. I feel like I need 1 full day off in the weekend to do some studying, but I work saturday and sunday and I'm part of this school organization that meets fridays. I go to school full time. I honestly feel like quitting the org to join another org that takes less of my time. The school organization meets 3 hrs a week for training, then 1 hr 20 min twice a month for presentations/exhibits, and then I have to go to an additional one program a month. I've done this for 1 semester though. And I was a Project Coordinator for another service org for a semester. Also, will these two EC make my application look good? Sorry if this sounded like a rant lol. How much emphasis does Pharmacy schools place on ECs like school organizations?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly do not think it is enough. pharmacy technician and retail thing should go under work experience. EC is different. You need to have some kind of involvement for the community imo.

Right now I have two jobs. I'm a Pharmacy Technician and I work Retail at a store. Both jobs are part time. I work minimum 12 hrs each week and max 14 hrs. Lol I know it's not a lot but to me it feels like a lot. I feel like I need 1 full day off in the weekend to do some studying, but I work saturday and sunday and I'm part of this school organization that meets fridays. I go to school full time. I honestly feel like quitting the org to join another org that takes less of my time. The school organization meets 3 hrs a week for training, then 1 hr 20 min twice a month for presentations/exhibits, and then I have to go to an additional one program a month. I've done this for 1 semester though. And I was a Project Coordinator for another service org for a semester. Also, will these two EC make my application look good? Sorry if this sounded like a rant lol. How much emphasis does Pharmacy schools place on ECs like school organizations?
Have u done any volunteer service? I am applying for U of Houston. They sent me an email said that i do not have enough volunteer hours indicated in pharmcas. I had to write them a letter to explain clearly what volunteer activities i have done in order to be considered for admission.( i have been volunteer at a hospice, a hospital, and several small amount of other volunteer activites.)
Therefore, i advice you to find some place to volunteer. It will be better than nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly do not think it is enough. pharmacy technician and retail thing should go under work experience. EC is different. You need to have some kind of involvement for the community imo.
Yeah the organization I'm planning on quitting does stuff like educating and promoting discussion about all issues in students’ lives through interactive exhibits and activities for like the school community not like the a city/town community or anything like that. Are you talking about the a city/town community?

Another option is quitting my retail job but I get like 4-6 hrs a week only at the pharmacy so I might need the money from the retail job.

Yeah the organization I'm planning on quitting does stuff like educating and promoting discussion about all issues in students’ lives through interactive exhibits and activities for like the school community not like the a city/town community or anything like that. Are you talking about the a city/town community?
any types of volunteer is goid as long as it is unpaid.

I'm not saying i'm not going to volunteer or have other ECs, I'm saying there are other organizations that take less time and possibly not on a weekend. Other organizations I could join are Red Cross or Pre-Health club.