How much formal shadowing is absolutely necessary for nontrads who work in the healthcare industry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edgerock24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'll keep this short: I've worked in hospitals as a clinical research assistant and as a psychiatric counselor for the past 2+ years. When I apply to medical school in 2015, I will have worked for a total of 3 years in hospitals. I have worked closely with physicians, and have had tons of direct patient experience.

My question: with consideration to my work history, will I still be expected to formally shadow a physician before I apply to medical school?

I ask, because it seems somewhat redundant in a way to do so. Since I have worked with doctors, I have seen what their days are like. I know what I'm getting into.

Any and all comments are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'll keep this short: I've worked in hospitals as a clinical research assistant and as a psychiatric counselor for the past 2+ years. When I apply to medical school in 2015, I will have worked for a total of 3 years in hospitals. I have worked closely with physicians, and have had tons of direct patient experience.

My question: with consideration to my work history, will I still be expected to formally shadow a physician before I apply to medical school?

I ask, because it seems somewhat redundant in a way to do so. Since I have worked with doctors, I have seen what their days are like. I know what I'm getting into.

Any and all comments are much appreciated.
Do you have any experience with primary care?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since you have direct patient contact and work with physicians, then no, shadowing is probably not strictly necessary. But given that you're in a fairly specialized field, some primary care exposure would be a plus.

Thanks for the replies, all.

Do you have any experience with primary care?
I have not. I've worked in an outpatient psych unit -- but nothing with family medicine. I can see where shadowing a family medicine doc for a week or two (hope this would be enough?) could be worthwhile.