how much free time do med students really have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popcorn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello...i'm starting medical school this fall and i've beginning to fear that my life is going to end. i'm very thankful about being accepted and fulfilling my dream to care for the sick. however, i also feel like the 20's are really a time to have fun and experience all life has to offer.

if you're a medical student, would be so kind to share what your experience has been? do medical students have a real life outside of medical school? i'd appreciate anyone's shared thoughts.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congrats on getting in. The hardest part is over. As for free time, here's the deal. It depends entirely on how well you want to do, what your study habits are, how you learn, and what your priorities are. I'm a third year med student, I just turned 24, and I've been married for 4 years. I can personally say that I had more free time during my first two years of med-school than I've ever had. Of course, that's because I worked through college. But basically, we had all of our tests lumped together in blocks. So it was sort of like taking finals ever 4-6 weeks. So basically, I'd study my butt off for a week before the tests, then take 3 weeks off after them. Also, you'll find when you start school that you get bombarded with resources from which to get the info. You'll have huge texts books, which I don't recommend you buy; plus lecture notes, plus often times you get huge syllabi. The key to free time is choosing which source you're going to study from, and discarding all the rest. Don't try to make it through everything. Also, if a professor gives you a huge handout with all of his info in it, don't bother sitting through the class. Go take a nap instead. We also had several people from our class who would go out for 25 cent draws at a local bar every tuesday. Those were the days. Basically, enjoy it. When you get to clinics, it's a whole other story.

My school also has block exams. I am starting my first year. My fear is that I may feel tempted to slack a little after a block. I don't understand how you could have had the ability to take a few weeks off after each block, considering the large volume of material there is to learn. This is by no means a negative comment. I was wondering if you might be able to give me some more insight into the block system and how you made free time for yourself and how much you slept the week before each block. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most everyone does what the other poster said about blocks. Study hard for a week or two, then forget it for awhile. In fact they always tell you that you CANNOT study the night before the exam and get by. Well, I was doing poor in biochem so I spent most of my time on that, while I would study the night before Histo and make B's. So it can be done. On some subjects that is, and I would NOT recommend it. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

thanks for the advice, billie and sdonnenworth. it makes me feel a bit better that i can still have a life for the first two years.

Doc2be, I sleep 4 hours per night, period. It doesn't matter if it's a week I'm studying, or a week I'm going to bars every night. If you get used to that schedule and stick to it, you'll have plenty of time to do what you want and won't be tired. The way the block system works, is you basically study one organ system in each of your classes. Like say the heart. You study cardiac output etc in phys. You study things like cardiac enzymes in biochem, you study cardiac muscle in histo, etc. Then when the block is over, you take a test in each class over the cardiovascular system. Our tests come in two days. So it may take 4-6 weeks to cover a system. So basically, you take three weeks off, out playing golf and hanging out with the family, then you bust your butt for a week or two to learn the info for the tests. It may not get you the best grades, but it will keep you from shutting out everyone important in your life.