How much harder is the real MCAT in comparison to AAMC #11?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureERDoc16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the big day, and I am getting a little anxious about completing all of the sections in the allotted time. I've heard that the real MCAT was much harder than AAMC #11, which worries me seeing that I completed every section with less than 30 seconds remaining. I did well, scoring a 35 overall, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to finish the sections in the given time if the questions are even MORE difficult/time consuming than the later AAMC's. For verbal, in particular, I would be screwed if each passage was really a paragraph longer. Can anyone tell me how much time they had after completing their practice exams vs. the real thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Be confident brother, your 35 on test 11 shows you prepped a lot. Don't stress now..

Reactions: 1 user
(since your test is likely over, this post is more for future readers than for you!) Tomorrow is the big day = there's little you can do now besides get a good night's sleep. Congrats on the 35, hope you did well today

it varies. each test is different, if you've done enough comprehensive practice you'll be prepared.

In my experience taking the MCAT three times between 2011 and 2012, the verbal section's level of difficulty was the same. PS was a little easier for me in terms of concepts, but a lot of calculations like AAMC 11. The bio section on the real MCAT makes you feel hopeless. You'll read passages on topics that are either hard to follow/comprehend and stuff that you never heard before. The orgo seemed to be minimal and easy to answer. This is normal. Just do your best. But these are just my experiences.

Familiarize yourself with complicated transcription factors, and you'll feel more comfortable with the BS section.
Read some articles on transcription factors like ewwd4; shh54rr; jkd48k; wntdk302; fckdissht (i made these up, but you get the idea). They come up a lot on the new MCAT. It's nothing you need to memorize, but it helps make reading easier.