LittleRocker

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
For anyone who's taken the test within the last few months have they had any optics passages lately? How often do these show up? I'm just wondering how much time I should spend on it compared to the other physics topics. Am I wrong to assume that electricity and magnetism is much more common?

supertrooper66

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2008
Status
i didn't have a single optics question on my test on april 5th.
i really expected there to be something on it but nope. definitely know it tho...i'm sure it's bound to be on tests this summer if there was already one test without any mention of it

chemnerd31

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Indianapolis
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I am a little nervous about optics as well. I always end up guessing right on the practice exams but that is only one question and I'm only guessing. I have been trying to study optics but always get distracted because it is so darn boring. My luck I will take the exam and I will have a whole passage about optics and completly blow my score.

Good luck :D

OP
L

LittleRocker

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
haha man I was hoping they already gave like half a test on it and that was it for the year :)

RSAgator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
Status
1 optics discrete on the april 18th exam. I doubt you'd get a whole passage on it though.

BeardedRunner

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I had a bitch of an optics passage on my test. It was about lasers that read CD's - horrible.

I was pwned by it.

ComicBookDude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
Status
For anyone who's taken the test within the last few months have they had any optics passages lately? How often do these show up? I'm just wondering how much time I should spend on it compared to the other physics topics. Am I wrong to assume that electricity and magnetism is much more common?
Took the test in Jan 2008 - no optics, maybe 2 E/M questions altogether. My test (rough breakdown) was ~70% general chemistry (lots of calculations), ~20% mechanics, ~10% E/M. I remember specifically being happy about very few Physics II questions being on there.

physics junkie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
Status
Had 2-3 optic questions jan 26th. Guessed on all of them! Surprisingly we never covered optics in any physics class I took.

kronickm

even par.
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I had a few optics q's, and I felt like there were always some optics questions on the AAMC practices. Optics is easy though, just remember the two equations and you can pretty much do any optics problem.

Revilla

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Had 2-3 optic questions jan 26th. Guessed on all of them! Surprisingly we never covered optics in any physics class I took.
Wow, really? Optics was a large part of my Physics II class.

What up doc

FLASH
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
pretty much NO optics on today's test...a couple questions, but u coudl probably have gotten by without ever looking at the optics section..A LOT of mechanics tho...

Sillyshoes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
it seems like it's a matter of luck sometimes as to what they will ask and whether or not you know that material really well.

TheBoondocks

StreetFighter 4 Virtuoso
10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
That's because you took physics for people with big balls. In most calculus based physics classes optics is glossed over. My advisor told me to take algebra based if I was interested in medical school. I took Calculus based anyway and have a much better understanding than my buddies who took algebra based classes.

nkhan

c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2008
Tennessee
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, didn't take it my physics either. It's not too hard to learn though.

NAVYLABTECH08

DA DOCTOR IS HERE
10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2007
Status
Medical Student
No optics/ Physics seemed to be mostly AC/DC circuits. Maybe a couple of force questions.

Breakdown:

Chemsitry: 80% electrochemical/valvanic cells (easy)
Physics: All Circuits/electricity concepts (Ohmns law, etc...) I think I only had 1 actual physics calculation (centrifugal force).
Biology: 80% molecular genetics (tough)
10% genetics
O. CHm: A few 2nd semester reactions to choose between
A couple of concepts relating to SN1 vs SN2

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
An Igloo
Status
Medical Student
I know we get a lot of these 'how much X subject' threads, so I thought I'd say this in response to all of them:
I understand that if you are strapped for time you want to maximize your study time by focusing more on the subjects that you think will be more likely to show up on the MCAT, but, in reality if you have more than a few weeks left:

Don't gamble on the MCAT

You should know it. All of it.

Gpan

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
optic is not that difficult of a topic. You SHOULD know the 2 equations about the magnitude and focal, image and object. Every problem can be solved by using these 2 equations, and of course some facts:thumbup:

DrJD

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Like Vihsadas said, know it all! However, I spent a lot of time memorizing and studying optics and then there was a SINGLE question... I was a little POed, but glad at the same time :)

mterp45

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Like Vihsadas said, know it all! However, I spent a lot of time memorizing and studying optics and then there was a SINGLE question... I was a little POed, but glad at the same time :)
The important thing is that you got that question right. One question can make a big diffrence.