How much have my chances been hurt by tardy LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g8terboi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, my pre-med adviser said my committee letter would be ready about a month ago, but right now he still hasn't sent it. I contacted him again yesterday, and he said it won't be uploaded until early next week at the latest. My question is, will this significantly hurt my chances? My secondaries have all been submitted (about 32 schools) except for UCSF, Mayo, and Wash-Seattle. I'm a CO resident, 37/3.9 from top 5 LAC.
When should I expect to my applications to be complete?

Members don't see this ad.

(about 32 schools)
37/3.9 from top 5 LAC.

I don't think you have too much to worry about aside from how your gonna pay 32 app fees goddamn!

I'm in exactly the same boat. A few schools, including UCSF, have not given me a secondary yet and I think it's for this reason. I don't understand - don't our schools know that they're messing with our chances by being lazy? Apparently my committee was switching office locations and that delayed my letter for a month. Cry me a river...

Members don't see this ad :)
that doesn't make sense, as schools don't base whether or not they give secondaries on LORs... actually, you should not send them before they give you secondaries at all.

I don't think you're in bad shape if it's in by next week, unless you're early decision or something. Once the letter does get it, then you're complete and can go right onto the committee while I'm sure there are plenty of other applicants who aren't even that far. You're still far enough ahead to have rolling admissions work for you, I think. Good luck!