How much have you spent already for the whole process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much have you spend already?

• 1-$999

Votes: 36 9.5%
  • 1000-$1999

Votes: 51 13.4%
  • 2000-$2999

Votes: 87 22.9%
  • 3000-$3999

Votes: 61 16.1%
  • 4000-$4999

Votes: 49 12.9%
  • 5000-$5999

Votes: 26 6.8%
  • 6000-$6999

Votes: 21 5.5%
  • 7000-$7999

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 8000-$8999

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • 9000-$9999

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • 10000-$10999

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 11000-$11999

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 12000+

Votes: 23 6.1%

• Total voters

sekem

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
including

1- MCAT
2- Secondaries
3- LOR service
4- Caribbean schools
5- DO Schools
6- Canadian schools
7- Hotels
8- Anything else

and all other ****, how much have you spend already Please vote

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly haven't kept exact track because I'm fairly sure it will make me sick. But I've already past the $6,000 mark and thats only 3 interviews, and having dropped some of my original choices.

But I have to admit I'm getting a chunk of the MCAT course cost back because I teach/proctor for them now - which I wouldn't have done otherwise.

please vote

$4500 and counting. I am anticipating around $8000 before it is all said and done, but hey thats just a drop in the bucket compared to the tuition we are about to pay. It makes me wonder how much AMCAS really cares about getting socioeconomically disadvantaged students to be doctors.

$4500 and counting. I am anticipating around $8000 before it is all said and done, but hey thats just a drop in the bucket compared to the tuition we are about to pay. It makes me wonder how much AMCAS really cares about getting socioeconomically disadvantaged students to be doctors.
Well that do have the fee assistance program which would cut costs CONSIDERABLY (about $2500 depending on how many schools you applied to). But you still have the interviews to worry about-and the dingus schools that don't give Fee Assistance.

Well that do have the fee assistance program which would cut costs CONSIDERABLY (about $2500 depending on how many schools you applied to). But you still have the interviews to worry about-and the dingus schools that don't give Fee Assistance.

That is a good point, however I don't think it makes much of a difference. If you are truly poor, then what is the difference between paying $8000 or $1500. Both are probably out of reach. It just seems these systems keep the huge chasm in place between the haves and the have nots.

Don't forget the costs of a suit(s) and accessories. Even the useless leather portfolio you bought just to have something to carry.

I've spent about $3200. Still have some more secondaries to submit and have yet to pay for the plane tickets I will inevitably need to interview at distant locations. For this price I could turn my A/B cups to C's.....so much for having my priorities straight:confused:

Do MCAT prep classes get added in? If so, my costs almost double...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've spent about $3200. Still have some more secondaries to submit and have yet to pay for the plane tickets I will inevitably need to interview at distant locations. For this price I could turn my A/B cups to C's.....so much for having my priorities straight:confused:

About $3400... but I forgot to count Kaplan and the interview suit. Hopefully it'll all be worth it in a year, when we'll get to start paying through the nose for real. :laugh:

So many possible replies here, I can't decide which one to post. I think this should be explored further. ;)

Holy $hit!!! Three people have already spent over 12 grand. Thats dedication:thumbup: .

Around $4000 so far, haven't flown out to any interviews yet. I'm hoping it will stay under $6000.

I don't think the cost of a suit should be included. A good suit is something everyone should have by the end of college. If not for med/grad school interviews then for job interviews and formal events.

I don't think the cost of a suit should be included. A good suit is something everyone should have by the end of college. If not for med/grad school interviews then for job interviews and formal events.

Eh I think it should be, at least for women. I probably would have never bought a suit if I weren't applying for medical school because I wouldn't wear a suit to a formal event and I have plenty of dressy clothes for job interviews (which have never been as formal as medical school - at least not in any of the places I have applied/worked).

Only the formality of medical school interviews required a suit for me, as a female.

wow 12K for just applying! Oh my ..

Yeah, at first I viewed the money as "drips in the bucket," but it has now overflowed the bucket and is sinking my ship. 4000+ thus far, and I've only booked two flights.

Post them up, and I'll start the pot at $10 :laugh:

About $1500 so far here. I don't count the suit because I already had one. Add Kaplan for $1500 though if that counts.

I hate this poll. Fourth time applying so I am well over the $12,000 mark. Damn you poll...for showing me the money I have wasted and nothing to show for it.

For this price I could turn my A/B cups to C's.....so much for having my priorities straight:confused:

Before I play the gentleman and say 'you look fine with what you have', I'll need to see a picture to make sure I tell no lies.

Before I play the gentleman and say 'you look fine with what you have', I'll need to see a picture to make sure I tell no lies.

tyra.jpg
Be gentle, I went through alot this day to make them look presentable;)

I think I spent a total between 1000 and 1500 last year applying. I spent more than that on car repairs last year.... I was cheap though. Only applied to five schools, only interviewed at three and only one involved a drive.... but that was only a two hour drive at that. I spent $200 on the MCAT, $250 on primary application (MD) $200 on primary for DO, 200 on secondaries, $200on a suit hmmmm..... thats about it.

Two Words: Early Decision

I was blessed to be accepted. Not only that, but the school is in my hometown. So I pretty much just mooched off of my parents. In the end, I spent around $300. Yet, I'm still broke.

Wow, ok so I voted yesterday with an estimate....and including everything, suit, new travel bag, MCAT prep, and having already paid to intreview at 8 schools, I am at about 5300. WOW! I had guessed I was still under 5000, but I guess not. It's those d*mn plane tickets that are killing me.

Wow, ok so I voted yesterday with an estimate....and including everything, suit, new travel bag, MCAT prep, and having already paid to intreview at 8 schools, I am at about 5300. WOW! I had guessed I was still under 5000, but I guess not. It's those d*mn plane tickets that are killing me.

I hear ya, I havn't even started buying plane tickets and arranging for hotel rooms and i'm already approaching 3k.

The awful things I had to do to pay for those secondaries.

Is there any loan that can support us in this process?

Time is money...so I'd have to say $1 billion.

But seriously,
1- MCAT $1000 (2 MCATs + Kaplan)
2- Secondaries $2000 (22 schools)
3- LOR service $35 (Committee letter)
4- Caribbean schools $75 (1 school)
5- DO Schools $0
6- Canadian schools $0
7- Hotels $200 (for one interview so far)
8- Anything else $1000 (Primary AMCAS)
$25 MSAR
$220 (Plant Tickets for one interview)

I figure I spent probably around 10,000 so far. I applied last year, took an MCAT prep course that turned out to be a complete waste of time and money, applied to a bunch of schools, got rejected from all of them, and threw some more money down the drain this time around and added DO schools, so that's an additional cost. Thankfully, I have a few interviews this time around, so I do not mind at all spending that money.

I only need to fly so far to one interview, which should hopefulyl be right after I get a decision from my first choice school. If I get in, I'll cancel the interview, but fly to the destination anyway and just party and have fun and celebrate. I'm staying there a few days anyway because I don't need to pay for a hotel, I have family nearby so I'll stay with them. But then, if I get in to this school, I won't spend anymore money on interviews or anything, until I need to write a tuition check. Although I probably will go to interviews if I have a friend at the school and it's close by. Gives me a good excuse to drive 2 hours even though I would just be able to see them for dinner or something.

Believable for re-applicants for sure. Ouch!

I guess if someone has 4-5 out of state interviews only those could cost him at least 4-5K ...

$0 no Kaplan course
$120 online MCAT practice tests, borrowed some books
$200 MCAT
$150 staying in Chicago for CBT
$25 MSAR
$160 primary AMCAS
$60 secondary
$5 gas for interview
$15ish interfolio
$250 Ann Taylor suit on sale
$100 deposit to hold my place in the class--oh wait, i meant "priceless"

total: $1085
even ED people break the $1000 mark....

just wanted to have some updates on this ...

uh...for those of you spending $12k+, you do know those smaller seats in the back half of the plane are cheaper, right? ;)

oh my goodness... :eek:

my only expenses were the mcat test fee, amcas fee and my single secondary, so 450 or so... of course i cut corners, no mcat study materials or class, only applied to one school. still that money hit me hard, i cant imagine spending as much as some of you.

About $3400... but I forgot to count Kaplan and the interview suit. Hopefully it'll all be worth it in a year, when we'll get to start paying through the nose for real. :laugh:

I want your MCAT score. My god....................

Congrats..

lets get the final votes for the the Fall-2007 admission class!

hmm...let's see

$160 primary application fee
$2600 secondary application fees (applied to 24 schools)
$1000 MCAT prep course
$200 Mailing fees letters of recommendation
$250 1st flight
$150 rental car
$150 hotel

$4,510 and I'm just starting with interviews!

final reponses for the 2007 cycle???

some updates

I totaled my expenses and it's ALOT. It's between 7-8 grand when I add the MCAT costs, since I took it twice. Of course now I'm going to say it's worth it because I got in somewhere. If I hadn't I would be veeeeeery angry. I mean I still shudder every time I log in to my american express account.
And to add to it I assessed my impact on climatecrisis.net (I just watch an Inconvenient Truth) and those plane trips quadrupled my co2 emissions. AL Gore probably wouldn't be too happy with all of our interview traveling.:oops: