How much have you spent on interviews so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user123456

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far for me: 9 interviews (one of which was my undergrad so $0), $1880.
want just one acceptance so i can stop going!

Members don't see this ad.

I intentionally stopped keeping track of it a while ago. Will have attended 12 interviews, all OOS. I'd estimate $2-3K easy, perhaps more. 1 airplane ticket alone was $750 :eek: Then again, I'm definitely not reapplying, so this is a one-time deal.

After 11 interviews (10 OOS), my running total is just under $1500, including cabs and such. More if you account for all the eating out. More if you account for the personal trainer I'm gonna need after all the eating out.

Members don't see this ad :)
After 11 interviews (10 OOS), my running total is just under $1500, including cabs and such. More if you account for all the eating out.
:eek: I'm so jealous. I don't even want to calculate how much I've spent.

~ $1k for interviews at 7 schools (all IS). Drove everywhere. 2 of them were in my city, another was only 40 minutes from home. I think my cost is a little inflated because I stayed 2x as long for 4 schools.

:eek: I'm so jealous. I don't even want to calculate how much I've spent.

At some point, these numbers start looking like gibberish to me, anyway.

I applied on the early side but interviewed a bit later. With a few exceptions, I was able to schedule my interviews in regional clusters, which helped a ton. And oh man how I love my student hosts!

(Don't let the game play you. ;))

At some point, these numbers start looking like gibberish to me, anyway.

I applied on the early side but interviewed a bit later. With a few exceptions, I was able to schedule my interviews in regional clusters, which helped a ton. And oh man how I love my student hosts!

(Don't let the game play you. ;))

I agree 100%

This whole process is so ridiculous... med schools should be a little more considerate. Right?

Ended up spending a little under $8000, includes cost of primary and secondary applications, travelling, hotels, etc. Also glad this will be a one-time deal!
:eek:

Now I'm wondering where I'm going to get the money to apply next year...

:eek:

Now I'm wondering where I'm going to get the money to apply next year...

I recommend getting a credit card with no interest for x months. For example, citi jut did a promo for a card with no interest for 21 months.

I am fortunate to live in an area with lots of med schools nearby... been on 4 interviews, 3 in NYC and 1 in NJ -- the furthest one was 2 train rides away.

So maybe an average of $25/interview?? :cool:

I'm not even going to bother calculating because it would just be too traumatic, but flying in from Canada has been soooo expensive. Each of my flights has been $400-$700. :cry: But then again, that's chump change compared to how much debt I'm going to be after med school compared to if I just stayed in Canada...

I'm about to start flying out for interviews, so I'm about to spend a lot. I'm definitely a little jealous of those on the east coast in the NY / Northeast / New England area. I can drive for a long time before hitting another state line over here on the west coast.

But, thanks to the FAP I at least don't have to pay for my applications this year. So, I guess I can't complain too much.

I would say I average $400 per OOS interview
~ $300 for a round trip ticket
~ $100 for one night in a hotel

X 9 OOS interviews = $3,600 (this is definitely a lower limit estimate)

+ $3,680 for 45 completed secondaries
+ $2,107 for 60 AMCAS primaries

= $9,387 <------- Grand Total

...wow, this is actually the first time i've straight up done the math like that, it's all been small bits and pieces before. And this doesn't count incidentals (taxis, rented cars, eating out) or my new suit. Most of the money's been coming out of a big grad plus loan I've been living off of.

I would probably be looking at around 2-3000 for my 15 interviews I've been on; luckily, I could turn the future ones down. Nothing close to the guy above me though

I would say I average $400 per OOS interview
~ $300 for a round trip ticket
~ $100 for one night in a hotel

X 9 OOS interviews = $3,600 (this is definitely a lower limit estimate)

+ $3,680 for 45 completed secondaries
+ $2,107 for 60 AMCAS primaries

= $9,387 <------- Grand Total

...wow, this is actually the first time i've straight up done the math like that, it's all been small bits and pieces before. And this doesn't count incidentals (taxis, rented cars, eating out) or my new suit. Most of the money's been coming out of a big grad plus loan I've been living off of.

and, you must have spent on MCAT and MCAT preparatory course, say $4000?:eek:

Primaries & Secondaries: $2586
Interview: ~$700 (OOS via air + most expensive clothing I've ever worn. Hoping it still fits well for residency interviews.)