How much have you spent on securing a seat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdage

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read a thread on deposit. I am wandering how much have you spent on securing a seat from schools. So far I have two acceptances, and I have paid 4500 dollars on securing them. :scared:
I am still waiting to hear from other school. I didn't want to hold both schools because I was not sure. It was because of the order that I got my acceptance left me with no choice.

Members don't see this ad.

mdage said:
I just read a thread on deposit. I am wandering how much have you spent on securing a seat from schools. So far I have two acceptances, and I have paid 4500 dollars on securing them. :scared:
I am still waiting to hear from other school. I didn't want to hold both schools because I was not sure. It was because of the order that I got my acceptance left me with no choice.

These deposits are nuts! Dont they know that we are poor students :) I send 2000 to NOVA but cancelled the second check just in time when I heard back from UMDNJ....why cant every school be like UMDNJ and only ask for $175 :) When I saw the first line i thought the post was gonna be about how much have you spent on the whole process.....I dont even want to think about that one!

Right now just $750, but by May 1st it will be $1000. I was accepted early to my first choice school, so that is pretty lucky I guess.

I guess I won't be funding any other schools posh white coat ceremonies :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Polinar1021 said:
These deposits are nuts! Dont they know that we are poor students :) I send 2000 to NOVA but cancelled the second check just in time when I heard back from UMDNJ....why cant every school be like UMDNJ and only ask for $175 :) When I saw the first line i thought the post was gonna be about how much have you spent on the whole process.....I dont even want to think about that one!

I am with you on the spending on the whole process....I have a part time job right now...Big portion of my earning goes to the application.

mdage said:

From the looks of it you are decided on NYCOM, but you are still waiting for another school?

I spent $1000 securing my seat for my #1 choice. It worked out for me that all my deadlines were around the same time, so I didn't have to hold any seats just in case.

ssdoc said:
From the looks of it you are decided on NYCOM, but you are still waiting for another school?

I spent $1000 securing my seat for my #1 choice. It worked out for me that all my deadlines were around the same time, so I didn't have to hold any seats just in case.

Yeah, I recently interviewed at another school. That school really impressed me. So if I got an acceptance to that school, I would probably choose to go to that school.

mdage said:
Yeah, I recently interviewed at another school. That school really impressed me. So if I got an acceptance to that school, I would probably choose to go to that school.

Oh ok, good luck!

mdage said:

i hope you get in there! not just for you, but for me, who is dying to go to NYCOM....

back to the thread. i'm currently debating slapping down the 2K for touro-mi. nycom's been communicating with me, waiving class req's b/c of work experience, etc., and i can't help but hope that's all a good thing and bodes well, but i also fear counting unhatched chickens. thing is, i'm not sure i'd go to touro anyway, and not just reapply for the next year. don't get me wrong, it's a fine school and i'm sure it suits some people, but it really wasn't for me, even though it means not having to move.

but the 2K holding deposit is steeeeeep, and i'm really poor after the whole mcat/application/flying around thing. in debt, in fact. and that 2K could (i hope!) be needed to move cross country. but i hate to give up another DO acceptance, since i really disliked the MD schools that i'm accepted or waitlisted to. bah!

nycom, take me away!

i guess im lucky...spent 2K on NSU..thats it

I only spent 1,000. I got into my first choice a few days before I had to send in my other ones. Looking at others 1000 doesnt seem to bad.

mdage said:
I am with you on the spending on the whole process....I have a part time job right now...Big portion of my earning goes to the application.

To secure the seat at DMU: 1,000 bucks

whole process $3,232.36

Miles traveled: 6324.65

as long as you get into your first choice..and pay only one deposit..its the best deal..because it goes towards your first years tuition anyway..

one thing I don't understand is why the DO schools' deposits are NONrefundable and due in such a short time after one's acceptance, whereas MD schools have refundable deposits that are like $200 NOT $2000!

I'm just happy GA-PCOM's first deposit was only $250...it made my decision to decline Touro-NV much easier.

I've only spent 250 dollars for PCOM! Wasn't going to spend anymore..so I withdrew from other schools.

$25 for gas to drive to interview
$1.00 20 oz Diet Dr. Pepper to drink on way to interview
$10 celebratory beer and cheese fries dinner upon return home
$100 deposit

$2000, but now I am decided so no more funding of other med schools haha
(UNECOM and NYCOM seats, took the NYCOM one after I heard from them)

BobBarker said:
$25 for gas to drive to interview
$1.00 20 oz Diet Dr. Pepper to drink on way to interview
$10 celebratory beer and cheese fries dinner upon return home
$100 deposit

Getting a job after residency that makes medical school deposits look like pocket change to give out to hobos.......PRICELESS

candyland said:
one thing I don't understand is why the DO schools' deposits are NONrefundable and due in such a short time after one's acceptance, whereas MD schools have refundable deposits that are like $200 NOT $2000!

They do this because they know that most of their applicants are also applying to (and waiting to hear from) MD programs, and they want to lock you in as soon as possible.

I've paid $2000 total so far to COMP, which is a lot, but I don't feel bad about it...it was my first choice DO program, and I was accepted way back in November.

Totals for the process of applying this year:

Airfare: ~$1500
Hotels: ~$200
Cars: ~$150
Application fees: ~$1000
Suit: ~$350
Deposits: $2000
Total: >$5000