How much have you spent so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Around how much have you SPENT?

• < $1500 :)

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • $2500

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • $3500

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • $4500

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • $5500

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • $6500

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • $7500

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • > $8500 :(

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

red dot

burning, burning
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sooo... i'm feeling DIRT POOR right now and was wondering how much you guys have all spent THUS FAR. me:

this, of course, excludes tuition for undergrad/grad/etc school expenses -->

mcat classes/extra books etc ~$2000
ps editing help ~$300 (yeah i know i'm stupid for having done this but i was neurotic)
transcript requests/sending LOC's/postage/express mail/etc ~$200
AMCAS ~$1400
secondaries ~$2300 (well as soon as i finish a few more)
airfare ~$600
hotel/housing ~$0 (hopefully)
setting aside: travel expenses/food/taxi cash ~$150
suit/make-up/luggage ~$300

total ~$7250 so far, and still spending...

sometimes i feel that trying to make something of yourself is really only for people who are rich (or below the poverty line). what happens if you just happen to be right above the poverty line [rhetorical]?

Members don't see this ad.

6k so far, give or take. this doesn't include hotels, airfare or gas since i haven't interviewed anywhere. i wouldn't be surprised at all if some people, after the whole process were through, had spent as much as ten thousand dollars to apply to medical school.

it really is a farce.

I'll enter for (close to) least spent. Yes, I qualify for the FAP... sometimes its good to have parents who don't make much money.

AMCAS: 210
Secondaries: 100 (one school that doesn't waive)
MCAT: 85
Suit: 110
(I'm not counting gas for driving to interviews.)

total: 505!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
lyn2006 said:
I'll enter for (close to) least spent. Yes, I qualify for the FAP... sometimes its good to have parents who don't make much money.

AMCAS: 210
Secondaries: 100 (one school that doesn't waive)
MCAT: 85
Suit: 110
(I'm not counting gas for driving to interviews.)

total: 505!!!

wow. that's awesome *high five!*

Joonie said:
wow. that's awesome *high five!*

I can't keep track...its more like I just don't even want to know.

maybe around $2500 total? but I didn't apply to many schools, and I haven't had to really travel (yet, hopefully!)

hmm...

mcat - ~$200
amcas - ~$500
secondaries - ~$1000
tank of gas - ~$40

So, i'm definitely under $2000 at this point. Haven't had to travel at all yet though, so that will certainly make the spending skyrocket...

oh yeah...i took kaplan...didn't really consider that part of my application expenses, but yeah, i guess it should be in there too. :)

I took Kaplan and was getting high scores on the practice tests. Unfortunately, they couldn't really help with my biggest problem- test anxiety. I think the August MCAT went very poorly...

I can't believe I've spent sooo much money. The hundred dollars here and there for books, testing and apps really adds up.

No prep courses/old MCAT study books from a friend - $0
MCAT - $235
AMCAS (Early Decision) - $160
Secondary - $0
Inherited Dad's suit - $0
Interview during summer at state school in my hometown - $3 (for gas, both ways, 20 mpg)

Total: $498
Result: Accepted

I would guess that that's about the lowest you can spend without FAP...

I'm trying to just think of all this money I've spent as an investment in my future. But that's sometimes hard to do when I'm struggling to find the money for my massive credit card bills... le sigh.

I'm trying to just think of all this money I've spent as an investment in my future. But that's sometimes hard to do when I'm struggling to find the money for my massive credit card bills... le sigh.

Yep. It's nice how if you don't qualify for the FAP, you just get to have credit card debt! I'm still trying to pay off the debt from last year's unsuccessful cycle. I also purposely did not apply to a ton of schools because of fear of getting into even more debt. This process is a nightmare. I really do have nightmares.