How much in loans are you willing to take out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agent

agent, RN
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been contemplating my future with school's tuitions and all and I'm wondering how much is everyone willing to pay including expenses to get your med education.

I'm really looking to limit it to under 150k.

That's why certain schools are off my list. I guess its state school for me. UIC here I come.

Members don't see this ad.

Just about 190,000...I'll be in debt for the rest of my life.

I'm thinking somewhere more than $120,000...then it's indentured service for life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Including undergrad, a master's program, and medical school...I plan to borrow around 125K..of which 50K will be subsidized, while the rest has interest gathering all the while:rolleyes:

luckily i will have my undergrad paid for..

if i go to a public med school (which is a distinct possibility, as a new york state resident) i think i'll be able to fully foot the bill. if i go to private school, i hope to limit the debt to under $80k.

This is one of the issues that "scares" me about going to medical school. ALL of mine and my husbands undergrad is going to be loans, and also he wants to go to law school after undergrad, so I think we will be living in a cardboard box when it comes time to pay all of that back. By the way, does anyone know how it works as far as loan repayment during residency?? Just curious..... Thanks!