How much is too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bythegraceofgod

Bythegraceofgod
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am sure you get sick of these types of questions, so thank you in advance for your responses.

Summary of ME: 28, Married, 2 year old daughter, determined to become a physician.

I have college credits from 7 years ago in a computer science associates degree that I never completed due to lack of passion for the career. Cumulative 2.3

Started working on my Associates in Bioscience that transfers directly into the University of Minnesota's College of Biology (I am sure, I talked to advisors) at a community college. Nothing but 4.0 semesters since I started this journey.

I work FULL full time (40-70hr/wk) depending on the week

I go to school part time, however, I felt last semester I could take on more so now I am taking 14 credits. Looking forward to the challenge.

I have done quite a bit of research on what it takes and have come up with a plan that I am unsure whether or not it will be achievable.
Goals

3.5+Cumulative & Science GPA
Maintain GPA (with strong upward trend)

National Member of AED Pre-Medical Honors Society
Attend Bi-Weekly Meetings, Maintain 3.2+GPA

National Member of AMSA Pre-Med Society
Pay $75 Dollar Fee, Attend Thursday Meeting(at least Bi-Weekly)

200+ Hours Shadowing various Specialties
Arrange Shadowing Opportunities whenever possible

200+ Hours of Volunteer Work @ Feed My Starving Children
4 Hours once every 2 weeks for next 4 years (Year 1 & 2)

200+ Hours of Volunteer Work @ Children’s Hospital Minneapolis
?If they accept my application, and if i can manage it in work schedule

1 year Clinical Experience as CNA in Nursing Home or PEER ED program @ HCMC
Junior year (Quit Job?) Good Samaritan Certification or 1 year OR ED Program HCMC

Spanish as a Second Language
Rosetta Stone

Solid MCAT test score
Sell my soul to Library and Test Prep Course
Princeton or Kaplan Prep Course

Studied Abroad in South Cape Town, Africa or Argentina
U of MN Health Care Abroad Program $24,000 : (

Research (Hypothesis Based) Try to get Published
Senior Year

12 years Full-Time Work Experience in Printing Corporation
Keep Job

LOR : Scott(Boss), Joe's Wife(She is a Psychiatrist I get to shadow), A Professor
Ask for letters of R…Pray they are Strong

But my question is does the above look good? It feels like a little too much to complete with my schedule, but maybe it will be possible.

Will Medical schools put any weight on the fact that I have to work FULL FULL time and still manage my family? I want my daughter to still call me "Daddy" at the end of all this.

Can I cut some things out or do I need to add some things?

If you were in my shoes, what would you try to do over the next three years other than the obvious stuff (GPA, Shadow etc...?)

Even though it seems unfeasible...Do I need to quit my job if I am really serious about this (as I am)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Being a nontrad, med schools will more than understand the issues you face. Having a full time job and a full time family, they know the extra curriculars will be tough for you. Do what you can, but don't throw your family life away for it.

Hello,

I am sure you get sick of these types of questions, so thank you in advance for your responses.

Summary of ME: 28, Married, 2 year old daughter, determined to become a physician.

I have college credits from 7 years ago in a computer science associates degree that I never completed due to lack of passion for the career. Cumulative 2.3

Started working on my Associates in Bioscience that transfers directly into the University of Minnesota's College of Biology (I am sure, I talked to advisors) at a community college. Nothing but 4.0 semesters since I started this journey.

I work FULL full time (40-70hr/wk) depending on the week

I go to school part time, however, I felt last semester I could take on more so now I am taking 14 credits. Looking forward to the challenge.

I have done quite a bit of research on what it takes and have come up with a plan that I am unsure whether or not it will be achievable.
Goals

3.5+Cumulative & Science GPA
Maintain GPA (with strong upward trend)

National Member of AED Pre-Medical Honors Society
Attend Bi-Weekly Meetings, Maintain 3.2+GPA

National Member of AMSA Pre-Med Society
Pay $75 Dollar Fee, Attend Thursday Meeting(at least Bi-Weekly)

200+ Hours Shadowing various Specialties
Arrange Shadowing Opportunities whenever possible

200+ Hours of Volunteer Work @ Feed My Starving Children
4 Hours once every 2 weeks for next 4 years (Year 1 & 2)

200+ Hours of Volunteer Work @ Children’s Hospital Minneapolis
?If they accept my application, and if i can manage it in work schedule

1 year Clinical Experience as CNA in Nursing Home or PEER ED program @ HCMC
Junior year (Quit Job?) Good Samaritan Certification or 1 year OR ED Program HCMC

Spanish as a Second Language
Rosetta Stone

Solid MCAT test score
Sell my soul to Library and Test Prep Course
Princeton or Kaplan Prep Course

Studied Abroad in South Cape Town, Africa or Argentina
U of MN Health Care Abroad Program $24,000 : (

Research (Hypothesis Based) Try to get Published
Senior Year

12 years Full-Time Work Experience in Printing Corporation
Keep Job

LOR : Scott(Boss), Joe's Wife(She is a Psychiatrist I get to shadow), A Professor
Ask for letters of R…Pray they are Strong

But my question is does the above look good? It feels like a little too much to complete with my schedule, but maybe it will be possible.

Will Medical schools put any weight on the fact that I have to work FULL FULL time and still manage my family? I want my daughter to still call me "Daddy" at the end of all this.

Can I cut some things out or do I need to add some things?

If you were in my shoes, what would you try to do over the next three years other than the obvious stuff (GPA, Shadow etc...?)

Even though it seems unfeasible...Do I need to quit my job if I am really serious about this (as I am)?

Focus on the big four: grades, MCATs, research, and clinical experience. That said, you definitely don't need to quit your job or jeopardize your family life. Schools will view your app holistically and take your other time obligations into consideration. Best wishes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feel pushed to do any of the traditional things premeds do. For instance, I've never seen the point of premedical or honour societies, particularly those you have to pay to get into. In my opinion (read: I'm not an admissions person), working full-time, doing well in school and maintaining a good family life already seems incredibly impressive as is. Add in some clinical experience, research and volunteering in the community and you're doing way more than your typical premed.

Also, there is a special forum for non-traditional applicants here. They might be able to offer better advice and support.

Honestly I don't see how there is enough time in the day for all of that. IMO cut down majorly on the shadowing hours, 200+ is a little excessive.

Thank you for all of your responses, very helpful information. It is good to know that I do not have to lose my soul to accomplish this, but I will still chase it aggressively.

Again, Thank you:)

I have to agree with Dr. Cox's protege. It looks like you've got a solid plan. Don't stress.

How many credits did you complete during your first go at college? If you have a 2.3 after 2-3 years of college then you may have some trouble. The cool thing about medicine is that if you do the work you shouldn't have any problems.

Dude, relax a bit. I think you're being a bit of a perfectionist here. Don't kill youself getting into medical school, because guess what? Once your in, the real hard work starts.

The core things to work on are your grades then the MCAT. You have those things well planned out. But the shadowing? You don't need 200+ hours of that. Try 50 at a good place. Learn some things, talk to people, and gain some good insights from the experience that you can talk about.

The same goes for the 400+ total volunteering hours and learning spanish through rosetta stone (btw, if you go to a college, why not just take it there and get a grade?). You're working full time! Don't do these things just to do them. I swear I think med schools can tell when someone is just trying to build a perfect application for the sake of building a perfect application.

Find some things you are truly and deeply interested in, and get involved in them as much as you can and take them to the highest level you can. You don't need to go crazy with this.

Good luck!

For Spanish, immersion might be better than Rosetta Stone.

Btw, it takes more than 2 years to get your research published, assuming you're putting in 15 hours a week minimum doing important tasks. Doing it for just your senior year won't be enough.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I don't think you need to push yourself to do the CNA thing unless it is something you really want to do (especially if it would call for quitting your job). Clinical experience could just as easily come from volunteering at a hospital and doing some shadowing. CNA is a whole other class you would have to pay for, plus working as a CNA might not help you experience the physician side of things. In all the places I've volunteered, the CNA's are always so busy doing their own work that they do not interact with doctors all that much. Obviously the flip-side is that they do work with directly with patients.

Ultimately, for the whole process it's up to you to decide which experiences are most important to you. Start from there. Best of luck!