thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I looked at some old threads by Shrike and he recommended not reading the passages in the science sections at all--or very little. I also saw this in my Kaplan book...i'm wondering if thats the general consensus on this forum, that reading passages is on the whole a waste of time. I've been taking a few practice tests with a heavy focus on the passage and have been doing well, but could be doing a little better. there's some old threads on this topic but i wanted to see what people nowadays thought

plsletmein

im on bended knees
May 6, 2009
Status
Huh??? What could possibly be the justification for not reading the passage?

Cunninglinguist

Removed
Jul 20, 2009
Status
Non-Student
If you don't read the passage on the real deal you're toast man. You might as well guess on half the questions.

The passages are there for a reason, read them.

vandyam

Vulnera Sanentur
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
I wholeheartedly agree. If it weren't for the passages, I'd be toast. Read them -- they are your friend and secretly contain most of the answers if you can learn to look at them the right way.

AspiringDOC2010

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I don't know, I never found it necessary to read in depth the passages in the PS section. Sure, I skimmed them. But most of the questions in the PS section can be answered without referring to the passage. Take, for example, the chem passages that include like 4 or 5 equations. I usually just go first to the question and then refer back to the specific equation. And I also never really read the Orgo passages. They contained way too much useless detail. They say this and that and then the question asks for something as simple as the number of chiral carbons in a structure. The only passages I read closely were the Bio passages. But of course what the hell do I know. I took the exam on July 2nd, and we'll see how I did and whether my strategy worked :)