how much loan does an average dental student take out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how much loan does an average dental student usualy take out from bank? What is the ballpark number? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Present day... I would say between $100k-$150 on tuition alone, plus another $50K on living, for all four years. So somewhere between $150K-200K total, don't forget the interests that will be applied to these numbers. Federal Direct Loans will pay about $49K each year (if you qualify), the rest comes from priavte loans (banks), so do the maths for where you will be attending.

Remember, this is an average, you could end up taking more or less depending where you go to school.

Don't let the debt scare you, it will take care of itself if you love the field.

how much loan does an average dental student usualy take out from bank? What is the ballpark number? Thank you!

Males under 24 average: $223,061
Females under 24 average: $231,498

Males over 24 average: $197,863
Females over 24 average: $199,042

Hope it helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, got it from the American lending association's professional schools loan info. They have a nice breakdown for DDS/DMD debt stats.

Hi jeninny44, Thanks for the info. Do they also state min and max amounts too? Could you please post the link to their site? Thanks!

woah, 223K seems like ALOT :D

woah, 223K seems like ALOT :D

It's not the number put out by the ADA, but it seems a lot more realistic to me.

If over the past couple of years costs for approximately 60% of dental students who attend "inexpensive" state dental schools are approximately $40,000/yr, $160,000 for four years, and for the 40% of dental students who attend private schools costs are approximately $75,000/yr, $300,000 for four years, including in-school interest, this numbers seem more realistic than the $141,000 I've seen on the ADA website. Their figure, I think, includes all debt, undergrad and dental.

Most students are doing it on their own and borrowing the full amount, often more. Based on the above formula, average borrowing would come very close to 223K.

Of course, costs have gone up. Students graduating over the next few years will have higher costs, higher interest rates and, consequentially, higher debt.

Are there jobs for dentists after completing dental school or one has to somehow start a solo dental practice.
In jobs what is the typical starting salary?