How much material from the pre-reqs do you remember before you start studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about halfway done with the pre-reqs, and I've already forgotten everything! I'll occasionally peek in at the MCAT Q&A forum, and I rarely am able to figure out the answer to a question, even if it's from material that I've previously learned. Is this typical? When I do start to study, will the review books have all the info I need, or should I have been retaining the info better?

Oops, should be "did you remember before you started studying"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much...I took the mcat 7 yrs after i took my prereqs. I managed to get an 11 on both science sections. not too bad considering i only spent two months studying/relearning everything. the prep books do a great job at presenting everything you need in order to do well. i used tbr and ek. the key to doing well is doing many practice passages.

I'm about halfway done with the pre-reqs, and I've already forgotten everything! I'll occasionally peek in at the MCAT Q&A forum, and I rarely am able to figure out the answer to a question, even if it's from material that I've previously learned. Is this typical? When I do start to study, will the review books have all the info I need, or should I have been retaining the info better?

Oops, should be "did you remember before you started studying"

It happens to all of us - memory of the material will fade over time, especially specifics and details. General patterns and concepts are more likely to stay with you, which are the most important things to know for the MCAT. When you sit down to study for the MCAT, you will be surprised how quickly the material will come back to you and re-reading the topics will deepen your understanding of it. The prep books will cover everything you need to know.