Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How much math do you need?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by sanj, Jul 31, 2000.

1. sanj

sanj New Member

I was checking some add. req., & i saw that most of them dont have any to say about Math.Is taking up to Calc., required? Thanks

2. Socceroo4ever

Socceroo4ever Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hrm... maybe I should stick to my own boring allopathic forum, hehe, but anyway, as far as I can judge, math may not be required for all medical programs, but you can dead certain they'd like to see through second level calculus at least. I wouldn't sweat too terribly much about it though, unless the school you want absolutely requires it.

Best of luck!

3. DOc2be

DOc2be Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Math is a widely variable subject area for a good answer here, however I will tell you what I know. Physics is a requirement for most, if not all, medical schools. You need whatever math(s) is/are required for the physics courses (which is usually Calc I and II). However, your particular degree program may have their own requirements as well......I needed Calc I, Calc II, and Stats in order to graduate undergrad, but no math class per se was required for admission to medical school. Hope this helps

4. DaCrust

DaCrust Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

It depends on what school you apply to. I know that some schools require Calc I and II. Statistics is also very helpful. The Physics portion of the MCAT will be based at least on Trigonometry. So Calculus is indeed helpful. I suggest that you research all the med schools you'll apply to and find out what they want you to take.