How much money did you end up spending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I n T e N s C e

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After all the dust settled and cleared, how much money did you spend until you got into med-school? (incl. MCAT, Apps, Airfare, etc.)

I just wanna get a general idea on how much I'll be spending. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

2-3 times as much as you had planned........come on. if you get in, it will be a drop in the bucket......it will seriously be less than a week of moonlighting.

2-3 times as much as you had planned........come on. if you get in, it will be a drop in the bucket......it will seriously be less than a week of moonlighting.

No one is concerned that it's too much, it's just that you have to plan to drop thousands of dollars because it won't suddenly be in your bank account right when you need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
for the average applicant (~12 schools and a prep course) i've heard about 2.5-3k pretty consistantly
that includes interview travel and lodging, etc.

for the average applicant (~12 schools and a prep course) i've heard about 2.5-3k pretty consistantly
that includes interview travel and lodging, etc.

That number is a bit low. You'll spend that much just on a prep course and primaries!

I spent 5 grand this cycle and got into 6 med schools so it was worth it. I am pleased with the result and consider it money well spent. I would budget about 5 bills and if your careful, you might spend less.

In my particular case...

• MCAT Prep Course : $1,300 (Not necessary)
  • MCAT Prep Books, Tapes, Exam Fees, Beers after exam: $400
  • AMCAS Application: $750
  • Secondaries: $1000
  • Interviews: $750 (I only had two, and they were driving distance, hotels, suit, etc.)

Total: $4200

If you consider having to go back to school for 2 years post graduation, then add...

• Post Baccalaureate Education: $20,000 (Informal, 2 Years and 2 Summers at local college)

Ugh...sooo much money spent :(

I probably spent about 24K on my SMP, 2K on MCAT courses, 4K on app fees + travelling for interviews....EEP!

Pulling a number out of the ether is impossible. It depends on you.

1. # of schools indicated on AMCAS x $30
2. #1 x 80-90% x $100 for secondaries (unless #1 is dripping with reaches)

After that, it depends on the number of interviews, which is totally dependent on your MCAT/GPA/ECs/LORs and when you've applied. It's also dependent on whether you're applying mostly in your home region or nationally.

I applied to 36 schools, with an August MCAT (read: late app) and a 3.7/30. I went to five interviews, two close to home, three requiring air travel. It ended up costing me about $3,500 in application fees and $1,800 in travel costs.