How much money did you make last summer (for M1/M2)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much $ did you make and what did you do?

• $0

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • $1-$4000

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • $4000-$6000

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • $6000-$8000

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • $8000+

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Research job

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Other employment

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Volunteer work

• Other

• Total voters

hiphopapotamous

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
And what did you do? I'm curious what med students have done during their two summers and if they had a chance to make any money.

Members don't see this ad.

Prior to M1, I was a phlebotomist. I made between $800 and $1000 every two weeks, depending on the exact hours I worked (greater differential in the morning, overtime if I worked more than 80 hours in a payperiod, etc). So depending on what you consider summer (since I wasn't in school immediately prior to M1), I guess I made between $4000 and $5000.

A good portion of it was spent on moving expenses... furniture once I moved, actual traveling costs, rent on my house during July before I actually moved out (since I didn't want to start a lease in August, but couldn't move out til August).

This next summer, I'm not planning on making much of anything. I'm spending my time traveling. Might do an international research thing, but that wouldn't pay, only save me on room and board.

Did research through my school, made $3500 for two months. Really not too bad for working 3-4 days a week and putting together a poster at the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
first of all summer after M2 is taken up studying for boards

last summer i made a bit over $20k doing "other employment" in the public health sector

how much you make over the summer really depends on the foundation you laid before med school ....if you're going to med school straight out of undergrad or didn't do anything particularly worthwhile during your time off then don't expect to make much, if any, money during the summer after M1. most research stipends are meant to just help you pay your bills over the summer. basically if you weren't making real money before med school finishing one year of med school doesn't make you any more qualified to do anything that you weren't already qualified to do.

Screw work. We are going to be slaves to the dollar the rest of our lives. Might as well take at least one summer off, and it might as well coincide with having full heads of hair, absence of screaming toddlers and high liver clearance rates.

I made $0.00 the first two summers. Like skin said, M2 summer is for board studying (unless your school has some funky curriculum), and the summer after M1 is way better spent just relaxing, in my opinion. If you had a desirable skill before school, you could spend the time cranking out a couple thousand bucks during that first summer, but when you realize that your summer's earnings will amount to less than a week of your salary as a physician, it doesn't seem quite so worthwhile. Take out loans for the extra cash you need, and go on vacation or something. Barring that, just sit around and chill, for once.

I made $0.00 the first two summers. Like skin said, M2 summer is for board studying (unless your school has some funky curriculum), and the summer after M1 is way better spent just relaxing, in my opinion. If you had a desirable skill before school, you could spend the time cranking out a couple thousand bucks during that first summer, but when you realize that your summer's earnings will amount to less than a week of your salary as a physician, it doesn't seem quite so worthwhile. Take out loans for the extra cash you need, and go on vacation or something. Barring that, just sit around and chill, for once.

i don't really understand "just relaxing" ...doesn't that get boring? I worked 9-5 and had plenty of time to relax and hang out with my friends... some weeks I was going out every night. If i didn't have a day job i don't know what i would've done with all that time, i would've been bored out of my mind during the day.

i don't really understand "just relaxing" ...doesn't that get boring? I worked 9-5 and had plenty of time to relax and hang out with my friends... some weeks I was going out every night. If i didn't have a day job i don't know what i would've done with all that time, i would've been bored out of my mind during the day.

Same. I had a few days off for Thanksgiving and was already starting to get bored. . .

Same here. I like to be keep myself occupied.

I guess working hard at all times for no particular reason fits the typical mentality of a med student, but no, I don't get bored at all. Give me all the free time in the world, and I'll mess around through all of it. There's plenty of non-work stuff to do if you're looking for it.

Prior to med school, I was working a research associate, and worked up until the Friday before orientation started (moved over that weekend) in order to maximize my income stream. I ended up having $6900 for the summer (defined as end of May to when I stopped working in mid-August), after taxes and all that.

My M1 summer I took a week long vacation to visit a friend in Alaska, then did an 8 week 'national' fellowship, which in total paid $4200 (including a reimbursement for attending the national conference to present a poster).

My M2 summer I'm studying for boards, then taking a week long vacation in western Canada with my family.

As you can tell, I like getting paid. I've never actually had an unpaid job since high school. If I work, I get paid. Yes, I like traveling and relaxing too, but not for 2 months. Besides, during most of my summer internships I've had tons of free time to travel and do cool things (I had my first ziplining experience this summer, did a riverboat cruise and saw the fireworks from the river on July 4th, and other stuff I enjoy; another summer I was in Europe I saw 9 countries over the weekends), but still got a great research/clinical experience out of it.

Last edited:
I got a $3000 grant to do microbiology research and a $1000 stipend to spend two weeks at a rural hospital and clinic.

How do you guys recommend finding these activities?

I got some fun research lined up only paying 7.50/hour for a max of 20 hours a week (why can't they make it 40???!). I need to find something to supplement cost of living according to my budget during the summer (came into med school with some debt). Biology BS is BS for summer jobs it seems. Not really interested in summer heavy labor (been there, done that) or being a waiter. Maybe I'll take up photosyntheses to cut down the cost of food. :luck:

I did a research/clinical experience at a hospital in my home state. I didn't get paid but will get a frist author publication and it only involved 1-2 days a week at the hospital and maybe an additional 5-10 hours a week using EMR from home. As part of the experience I also went to a camp for the kids with the disorder I was researching.

The rest of the summer I played- baseball games, shopping, hanging with friends/family, theater shows, you name it!

How do you guys recommend finding these activities?

I got some fun research lined up only paying 7.50/hour for a max of 20 hours a week (why can't they make it 40???!). I need to find something to supplement cost of living according to my budget during the summer (came into med school with some debt). Biology BS is BS for summer jobs it seems. Not really interested in summer heavy labor (been there, done that) or being a waiter. Maybe I'll take up photosyntheses to cut down the cost of food. :luck:

bartending is good $$

Call me a freak but I can enjoy work as much as play...provided that I like/value the work and my co-workers aren't malignant.

The summer after M1 I worked two jobs (one research and one clinical) within the same department at a ginormous academic hospital. I was able to contribute to the department in a meaningful way, had a great experience, and made some serious coin. Because both jobs were within the same department, scheduling was pretty easy.

Some weeks I worked 40hrs and other weeks I worked +80hrs between the two jobs. When I wasn't working I was going out with friends or traveling.

It's totally legit to just take 'er easy for the summer if that's your thing. Personally, I wouldn't have changed a thing about how I spent my summer.

I made around $5000 doing landscaping and EMT work. I don't remember the exact dollar amount, but it was enough to pay off my car loan :D