How much money do YOU expect to make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd like to make enough money to live comfortably... aka eat out whenever I would like... shop for nice clothes now and again (huge fan of expensive suits).

I would also like to be able to support my kids educations and take a nice vacation once a year.

I am thinking $250-300K will allow me to accomplish this. That and a few years of serious saving and help from my banking friends.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to make enough money to live comfortably... aka eat out whenever I would like... shop for nice clothes now and again (huge fan of expensive suits).

I would also like to be able to support my kids educations and take a nice vacation once a year.

I am thinking $250-300K will allow me to accomplish this. That and a few years of serious saving and help from my banking friends.

Don't expensive suits with bespoking run about 5k-8k...... each? :scared:

Probably not.

That said, physicians won't be starving on the street.

I never said they would. But medicine isn't going to remain a pathway to getting rich. An upper-middle class living is what today's premeds should expect if they become doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never said they would. But medicine isn't going to remain a pathway to getting rich. An upper-middle class living is what today's premeds should expect if they become doctors.

If you had any other expectations for a normal, run of the mill doc then you would be a *****.

Dubaifan, you're either a concerned realist or the biggest pessimist I've known. I can't decide which.

I guess 1 million/ year is enough for two ferraris a mansion and three trophy wives... So let's start there

3 wives? pffft 1 wife and some concubines would be better. Less $$$ to pay out when the divorces happen.

~450K Dermatology

Would like to have my own scholarship and donate back to my community and school. Save for my future kids' education, pay off loans and make sure that my parents live a good and comfortable life :)

Summary: Dubai wants everyone to know that as a doc, you will make less than you think you are going to make. If you already think you are going to make less than OP's predictions, then seriously, **** you for undercutting his realism

The answer is "your going to look pimp"

btw, your only hitting the cheap end of custom suits at the 6-800 price point.

Yeah how are you ever gonna afford these suits on a meager doctor's salary?

high_fashion_suit.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I think an EM doc fresh out of residency pulling in $200k after taxes is plenty, especially if malpractice and most of your overhead is covered already.

More than enough to pay your loans back in 5-10 years if you're single and live modestly.

Why the "whoosh"? Do you think these 300K+ salaries will be sustained for non-surgical, lifestyle friendly specialties? Radiology may have to deal with outsourcing and automation (though those threats are currently peripheral with a lot of obstacles currently in the way), anesthesiology has the CRNA problem, derm may have DNPs cut into their market, and all three are at risk of reimbursement cuts. One of my HS friends has a father who is an anesthesiologist, who told him that he'll be lucky to make as much money as they currently are making.

As for ophthalmologists, they have already gone through steep cuts and they now mostly make < $300K.

CRNAs working independently want, and get, high salaries, as in $250+. CRNAs working 3 12's with no call or weekends are making $150's. Surgeons require anesthesia and keep the hospital's $$ gears moving. I'm set. You could be as well. If I make 300 in 10 years instead of 400+, sigh there goes the boat.:rolleyes: We're not going down to $200. However increased competition from weak CRNA mills may push CRNA loot down over the next few years. So sorry...

Last edited:
CRNAs working independently want, and get, high salaries, as in $250+. Surgeons require anesthesia and keep the hospital's $$ gears moving. I'm set. You could be as well. If I make 300 in 10 years instead of 400+, sigh there goes the boat.:rolleyes: We're not going down to $200
CRNAs are the most overpaid healthcare providers in my opinion.

In all seriousness, I will probably make around 200K a year if I stay locally. All of the doctors in my area have huge houses and nannies.

Sounds like a good reason to become a CRNA to me.

lol :smuggrin:

CRNAs working independently want, and get, high salaries, as in $250+. CRNAs working 3 12's with no call or weekends are making $150's. Surgeons require anesthesia and keep the hospital's $$ gears moving. I'm set. You could be as well. If I make 300 in 10 years instead of 400+, sigh there goes the boat.:rolleyes: We're not going down to $200. However increased competition from weak CRNA mills may push CRNA loot down over the next few years. So sorry...

lol

Whoa... no... I'm talking $600-800. What am I going to do in a 5-8k suit!!!???

This isn't the red carpet.

I was sitting at the dentist office today and was flipping through GQ and I saw Hugo Boss and Giorgio Armani suits ranging around 3K.

My first check as an attending full flown physician, I'm buying it! I don't care what people think! I'm treating myself and blowing that whole check :D

I dont know but I want a house that's 2mil (in california yeah sorry everything is exp here), a porsche, a ferrari, no kids, no hubbie..and thats about it. whatever will sustain that lifestyle.. oh and a cute wardrobe :)

hahaha that's all I'd need, who cares about fast cars and california!

I was sitting at the dentist office today and was flipping through GQ and I saw Hugo Boss and Giorgio Armani suits ranging around 3K.

My first check as an attending full flown physician, I'm buying it! I don't care what people think! I'm treating myself and blowing that whole check :D

I think I am going to do the same. I'm looking into Dolce and Gabbana. Hugo... meh... Armani's OK I guess.

Lets put up the flat earth light. Flat earth where art thou!?

Please. No.

I'm deeply troubled that, when contemplating an income of roughly 200k, the guys in this thread immediately jump to fashion. There are boats, cars, guns, jetskis, bikes, and hot tubs with built in plasma screens that are being overlooked for a pair of pants :thumbdown:

I'm deeply troubled that, when contemplating an income of roughly 200k, the guys in this thread immediately jump to fashion. There are boats, cars, guns, jetskis, bikes, and hot tubs with built in plasma screens that are being overlooked for a pair of pants :thumbdown:

That's what my loans are for... duh.

PS. If you look like **** when you step out of the Aston... she's not gonna wanna jump on your disco stick. Armani = Party with a ravishing vixen like Brittany Snow

Brittany-Snow-Maxim.jpg

I think I am going to do the same. I'm looking into Dolce and Gabbana. Hugo... meh... Armani's OK I guess.

Don't hate :smuggrin: lol
I like the designer's slim suits because I'm tall and lanky so it doesn't look like I'm playing dress up wearing my dad's clothes :rolleyes:

Around 200-250k. That is what hospitalists make. After deductions, that is about 9000-11,000 per month. I will be single and without kids. It's all mine!

I've always wanted a lake house......I wanna run around naked.....dead srs...

I'll need just enough so that my 4th of Julys, New Years, and weekly tequila nights can legitimately be classified as minor felonies involving class B mexican explosives. Dubai, is this doable?

I don't have high expectations. Though I'm the kind of person who knows he won't ever be raising a family and I'm fine living in small apartments/condos so it's not like I have huge lifestyle demands that absolutely need to be met either.

Go in with very low expectations and prepare for the worst... and you may end up pleasantly surprised ;).

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have high expectations. Though I'm the kind of person who knows he won't ever be raising a family and I'm fine living in small apartments/condos so it's not like I have huge lifestyle demands that absolutely need to be met either.

Go in with very low expectations and prepare for the worst... and you may end up pleasantly surprised ;).

LOL, sounds like you are talking about arranged marriages here.

I'll need just enough so that my 4th of Julys, New Years, and weekly tequila nights can legitimately be classified as minor felonies involving class B mexican explosives. Dubai, is this doable?
Doctors don't take as many days off, so it depends on whether you have to show up at work on those days.

You know what's funny, people who say this always end up marrying first lol :laugh:

I expect to make thirty or forty million a year.
I also expect hyperinflation and having patients pay me in scrap metal and reasonably fresh squirrel carcasses. Yeah, I'm a bit pessimistic about the economy.

I expect to make thirty or forty million a year.
I also expect hyperinflation and having patients pay me in scrap metal and reasonably fresh squirrel carcasses. Yeah, I'm a bit pessimistic about the economy.

this

INTRO:
What it costs to "live well" in the United States:
http://www.forbes.com/2005/07/01/cx_sc_livingland.html

METHODS:
Poll US regions to determine minimum family income necessary for "living well" after taxes

"Living well":
Primary residence
Vacation home (naturally)
Cars (bosses don't drive volvos!)
Food/dining out (trophy wives cook?)
Travel (so your wife can brag to her friends)
Healthcare
Private school for kids (only the finest for your little angel)
College (your greatest gift to the world are your children)
C. Club (you're not a poor, are you?)
etc.

RESULTS:
Northeast: 359k
South: 240k
West: 198k
Midwest: 277k

DISCUSSION:
You will never make enough.

A woman who can't cook better have a well paying job.

I'm way more down with the cars than the Armani suits...I personally love the way the R8 looks

r8-v10-52-fsi-quattro-2010-front-main_w800.jpg

I love this bad boy too though. Too bad Mustangs' interiors aren't anything to talk about.

2008-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500KR.jpg

Why the "whoosh"? Do you think these 300K+ salaries will be sustained for non-surgical, lifestyle friendly specialties? Radiology may have to deal with outsourcing and automation (though those threats are currently peripheral with a lot of obstacles currently in the way),

Outsourcing will never happen (it is illegal to practice medicine in America without an American medical license...this will never change). By automation, I assume you are referring to "Watson" technology.

To the latter, I have 2 counter-points
1) Automated ECG interpretation, which has been around for over 20 years now, and is still utterly worthless in diagnosing rhythm abnormalities. If technology hasn't can't comprehend lines on a piece of paper, how do you expect it to convert a 600 slice CT scan into a finding?
2) http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/practice-management/content/article/113619/1904535
To summarize the article, people are working to use this technology to seamlessly integrate electronic medical records with PACS (the software for viewing films). If this could actually work, it would tremendously increase radiologist productivity (and, salary). Radiologists stand to benefit tremendously from Watson technology before it could ever threaten their careers.

That Audi R8 is like 160K. That's like half of my ENT salary :rolleyes: lol
:laugh: If I ever get there!

outsourcing will never happen (it is illegal to practice medicine in america without an american medical license...this will never change). By automation, i assume you are referring to "watson" technology.

To the latter, i have 2 counter-points
1) automated ecg interpretation, which has been around for over 20 years now, and is still utterly worthless in diagnosing rhythm abnormalities. If technology hasn't can't comprehend lines on a piece of paper, how do you expect it to convert a 600 slice ct scan into a finding?
2) http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/practice-management/content/article/113619/1904535
to summarize the article, people are working to use this technology to seamlessly integrate electronic medical records with pacs (the software for viewing films). If this could actually work, it would tremendously increase radiologist productivity (and, salary). Radiologists stand to benefit tremendously from watson technology before it could ever threaten their careers.
+1