How much money do you guys spend on submitting applications and traveling to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlatFour

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a recent estimate for the cost of sending out applications and traveling to interviews so I thought I'd make a thread about it. I plan on applying to about 10 different MD schools, mostly within the state of Florida. Will my savings of ~$2000 be enough to cover all expenses? What would you say is the most expensive part of the process?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Well the primary app is 250. Then each secondary is less than 100. State of FL schools have pretty cheap secondaries. I don't remember them all exactly but probably all 7 schools in fl averaged to about 75 a school. So do that math.

Traveling just depends on your situation. I know people across the state so I wouldn't have to pay for a hotel anywhere. So for me it's simply gas, time off, buying suits. If you are trying to fly or stay in a hotel all the time then that cost increases a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you also currently going to college/working in Florida? That'll help save a large amount of money because flights probably took up a large bulk of my costs. Also, if you're going to apply to 10 schools, most schools' secondary fees are about $100, which is $1000 right there on top of a $160 fee for the first school you submit your AMCAS to and $35 for each subsequent school you send your primary application to (or $475 for 10 schools). So you'd be left with about $525, and if you'll be driving to most places/using hosts, you'll be a little bit tight on your $2000 budget (since I'm assuming you probably need to buy a suit too). Also remember that some schools require a deposit to hold your seat (they're normally $100).

If you comb through some MDApps, some people will total their expenses and it will give you a rough idea of how much you would need to spend overall.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to fly out to many of your interviews, then that will become very expensive. Additionally, if you are interviewing at a school that does not have student hosts, the cost of a hotel room for a night might be expensive depending on the city.

I don't know what your travel plans will need to be so you'll need to prepare a budget for yourself. Flights could be $300-$500 (very roughly) depending on where you're going and how early you book a flight. Hotel rooms for a night could range from $60-$200 per night (again, very roughly) depending on the city. A bus ticket could range from $35-$130.

Assume each school will be over $100 (primary + secondary), and have your budget is gone already. Travel gets expensive quick, even if you get hotels and air fare through travels sites. I never tallied up my expenses because I don't even want to think about how much it cost me, but I don't think $2,000 is enough.

As an aside, I'm glad that you are asking. While I suspect you are asking for the sake of your own application, I think it's important that someone keeps track of how much most people spend on applications, MCAT, and other requirements to get into medical school. Counting this cost - and making it known - could only serve us and future premeds well.

As a response to your question, from what I've heard from other premeds, like my MCAT instructor, it seems like most premeds spend a little over $2000 on applications. I'm not sure how many schools they applied to though.

I haven't been able to find a recent estimate for the cost of sending out applications and traveling to interviews so I thought I'd make a thread about it. I plan on applying to about 10 different MD schools, mostly within the state of Florida. Will my savings of ~$2000 be enough to cover all expenses? What would you say is the most expensive part of the process?

Thanks guys.

I really appreciate the responses here! I'll definitely try to fill up the ol' piggy bank a little bit more so that I don't end up completely broke by the end.

First application, I spent ~$500 total (had one interview)

Second application, I spent ~2,500 total (applied to more schools, applied DO as well, had 3 out of state interviews, gas ain't cheap, I bought 9 umbrellas because I like umbrellas)

I've spent close to $7000 this cycle including applications and travel costs. 25 secondaries and travel costs add up.

First application, I spent ~$500 total (had one interview)

Second application, I spent ~2,500 total (applied to more schools, applied DO as well, had 3 out of state interviews, gas ain't cheap, I bought 9 umbrellas because I like umbrellas)

So how many schools did you apply to during your second round? I also apparently need to increase my umbrella budget :)

I've spent close to $7000 this cycle including applications and travel costs. 25 secondaries and travel costs add up.

Wow that's a lot. Was this your first time applying?

So how many schools did you apply to during your second round? I also apparently need to increase my umbrella budget :)

Second round I applied to 17 I believe?

Edit: I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know why I do this, but occasionally I buy too much of one thing. Like at one point I bought 6 PS3 controllers. I don't have a PS3. My friends will not let that one go. >.<

4493347+_1cc814367c4d070eaf97544b8a1a248f.jpg

Last edited:
Be wise about how many schools you apply. You want to do it only once. If you are instate applicant in Florida and you're above average (stat wise) then I guess 10 schools is probably ok. I think nemo gave a pretty good estimate for the application expenses, so I would say that with 3500 you'll be fine. Also if you qualify for the FAP definitely do it. Also apply early!! GL

Like at one point I bought 6 PS3 controllers. I don't have a PS3. My friends will not let that one go. >.<

wow

Be wise about how many schools you apply. You want to do it only once. If you are instate applicant in Florida and you're above average (stat wise) then I guess 10 schools is probably ok. I think nemo gave a pretty good estimate for the application expenses, so I would say that with 3500 you'll be fine. Also if you qualify for the FAP definitely do it. Also apply early!! GL

Thanks for the tips lobo. I'm glad you mentioned the FAP because I think it might be a great resource in my situation, anything that can ease the financial strain is incredibly helpful.

I'm an in-state resident of Texas. I applied to 9 Texas schools and a few OOS. I had FAP for AMCAS, so didn't pay application fee or secondary fees for the OOS schools/Baylor. I only interviewed in-state though, so I drove to all of my interviews. Total cost including application fees, gas, hotel costs, interview clothing, etc was about $2100 last year.

I live on the west coast, applied to 20 schools, went to an interview in-state and then got accepted - cancelled all of my other applications since it was my top choice. I think I ended up spending $2500 because most of the secondaries I paid for were around $100... A budget of $2000 may be a bit of a stretch.

I'm an in-state resident of Texas. I applied to 9 Texas schools and a few OOS. I had FAP for AMCAS, so didn't pay application fee or secondary fees for the OOS schools/Baylor. I only interviewed in-state though, so I drove to all of my interviews. Total cost including application fees, gas, hotel costs, interview clothing, etc was about $2100 last year.

This sounds a lot like what I was planning on doing, as long as the FAP works out. Thanks for the input :)

I live on the west coast, applied to 20 schools, went to an interview in-state and then got accepted - cancelled all of my other applications since it was my top choice. I think I ended up spending $2500 because most of the secondaries I paid for were around $100... A budget of $2000 may be a bit of a stretch.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Do you think that sending out 20 applications was a bit overkill or would you do the same thing if you were applying again?

Haha thanks! If I knew I'd be accepted at my in-state school, I would've just applied to 1 and spent less than a couple hundred bucks. :p But retrospectively, yes. I think some of the schools I applied to were still out of reach for me. I applied because I had the money to spend, but if I were to do it again on a budget, I would probably cut 5 schools and apply smarter. Good luck!!

I misspoke when I said the primary is 250, because apparently its 160. Just to clarify that.

The people racking up major bills are likely people applying from states that don't have a ton of instate schools they are competitive for, so they just apply to every OOS school their numbers line up with. As a FL resident, its almost pointless to apply out of state because we have 7 schools which are all manageable stats wise. I applied to 14, and was rejected from all but 2 OOS schools so far. So it seems like a waste of money. Unless you really want to go out of state...I wouldn't waste your money on but a couple. Not only are you more likely to get in FL schools, but I would think you are much more likely to attend based on tuition differences.