How much money money do you expect to make after you're done with residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jurmanium

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont think I'll be making much because I'll still have to go through atleast 2 mor e years of fellowship

Members don't see this ad.

jurmanium said:
I dont think I'll be making much because I'll still have to go through atleast 2 mor e years of fellowship
One hundred ... ... ... BILLION ... ... dollars...

This has the potential to be the most entertaining thread ever. :thumbup: *crosses fingers*

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Indryd said:

And I shall call it..... the Alan Parsons Project! :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

Attachments

• Doctor Evil.JPG
    Doctor Evil.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 184
jurmanium said:

I don't care as long as its enough to be able to make serious payments towards my loans

MahlerROCKS said:
I don't care as long as its enough to be able to make serious payments towards my loans

haha.. yeah.. In order to just pay the interest, it'll have to be 6 figures. =)

I've calculated. As a family physician, after taxes, loan payment, and malpractice insurance, I'll be making less than what I'm making now.

I plan on getting another degree so that I am in school until I die and will not have to pay off student loans from grad school and med school. Any suggestions for a new major?

Indryd said:

darn it... i came into this thread to say that, but you beat me to the punch!

now all i can say is, well played.

ClearDay said:
I've calculated. As a family physician, after taxes, loan payment, and malpractice insurance, I'll be making less than what I'm making now.

Why would you want to become a family physician,they make NO money

hopefully taking home $100K after taxes if i can land a nice enough primary gig! :) which is PLENTY!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be happy with 150K plus. Maybe we should make a poll for this one..

I think someone did a poll about this a few months back. 100K after taxes is good enough for me.

250-500 if all works out as planned
j/k

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Blake said:
This has the potential to be the most entertaining thread ever. :thumbup: *crosses fingers*

:laugh:
*leaves, disappointed* :(

gdbaby said:
I plan on getting another degree so that I am in school until I die and will not have to pay off student loans from grad school and med school. Any suggestions for a new major?

There's never a shortage...go get a public health degree...law school...b-school...pharmacy, optometry, dentistry, vet, etc

gdbaby said:

Go do a really serious science Ph.D (industrial micro biology, biophysics, chemical eng., ect )and maybe pick up a MBA along the way.....IT will keep you in school till your 40 or so....trust me, I have first hand knowledge, I went the Ph.D route prior to the MD, and I'll be in school till 38 or so if I'm lucky.

as for money....

really if you want to make money go into industry; fermentation directors pull down 120K starting, most make big time side money consulting and doing contract research. I know one guy with a teaching position that made ~700K last year through base pay + stock options in various companies he consulted for. Plus his kids go to a top private univeristy for free!

As doc's, want money, go into ortho or rad. In the hospital I work in some ortho docs do 3-4 total knee's in a single day....these guys charge like 18-20K per surgery, affter all is said and done I bet they pocket at least 10k a knee. 40 grand in a day is not so bad, if you can stand/hack the work.

Blake said:
*leaves, disappointed* :(
Agreed.

But seriously I'm looking at between $175-225K if I get into the specialty and niche I want to pursue- namely pathology, and pursuing multiple county contracts as medical examiner like our local pathologist has done. But I would be happy with anything above $150K per year take home. Needless to say I won't be pursuing any manner of family practice or primary care.

Although I will pursue rads if I can get the chance.....

majikbob said:
As doc's, want money, go into ortho or rad. In the hospital I work in some ortho docs do 3-4 total knee's in a single day....these guys charge like 18-20K per surgery, affter all is said and done I bet they pocket at least 10k a knee. 40 grand in a day is not so bad, if you can stand/hack the work.

Assuming the ortho doc you're talking about works four days a week and 40 weeks a year, that means he makes over 6 million a year. That seems unlikely.

I think the highest average for any kind of doctor I saw once was 1.6 million a year for spine surgeons. In any case, that's way more than enough.

tacrum43 said:
Assuming the ortho doc you're talking about works four days a week and 40 weeks a year, that means he makes over 6 million a year. That seems unlikely.

I think the highest average for any kind of doctor I saw once was 1.6 million a year for spine surgeons. In any case, that's way more than enough.
It is true that the ortho docs bring in that kind of money to the hospital (and for that they get treated well) but the take home pay is far less.

most of the figures i've seen show starting salaries after residency to be anywhere from $110K to maybe $200k. so after taxes (malpractice premiums aside) that would be only about $75k to $140k...still seems like a pile of money to me compared to my crappy job in the business world, but i think i'd be kidding myself if i thought i'd be getting $150k+ after taxes first year after residency.

With the way reimbursement works, there is no way to predict what any of us will make. Last year, around here first year radiology associates were starting at 400K (after malpractice), now it's down to around 350. I wouldn't be surprised if it were half that much when I start practice.

Dr GeddyLee said:
With the way reimbursement works, there is no way to predict what any of us will make. Last year, around here first year radiology associates were starting at 400K (after malpractice), now it's down to around 350. I wouldn't be surprised if it were half that much when I start practice.

At this rate, we might be paying them for the privilege of working before long. :eek:
Honestly, if you find something you love doing, the money will be adequate whatever it is.

Law2Doc said:
At this rate, we might be paying them for the privilege of working before long. :eek:

:laugh: At first I thought you were being serious.

I mean, how can one subsist on only $175,000/year in these times?

Law2Doc said:
Honestly, if you find something you love doing, the money will be adequate whatever it is.

The people I will owe hundreds of thousands of dollars to might disagree.

tacrum43 said:
:laugh: At first I thought you were being serious.

I mean, how can one subsist on only $175,000/year in these times?

Your values change to compare yourself with your friends in medical school. If you are a Internist or in Peds and making 150K a yr and your friend who did poorly in medical school is an anesthesiologist that did a fellowship in pain and brings down $450K a year you may feel a little differently about the situation. Maybe your friend was a top student and is a ophtho LASIK surgeon and pulls down 600K and works 40hrs a week... and never gets sued...

Sad that people compare so much... huh? but just look at the people online that got 31 on their MCAT and feel bad b/c other SDN'ers scored much higher...

As for compensation... if you want to get out of the system... go with cash only procedures, these are found in Derm, plastix, ophtho, ent etc...

otherwise you are just a slave to a system that loves to devalue physicians... and headed down a financial track you are unsure of.

BrettBachelor is right... you should make your money from other sources... ie: real estate, index funds, consulting....
Physicians make 'stable/reliable' money.... you are guaranteed a 6 figure income each yr so you would be stupid not to invest it...

tacrum43 said:

4 in a day is a rare event, but it does happen. there is supply and demand here, only so many people NEED the work to be done at a given time. My point is that there is maney to be made if you are talented.

I think ortho docs pull 350K+ range around my neck of the woods.

plasticboy said it all....either submit to the system, or stirke out on your own. Either way start makeing some investments.

bob

bob

I know a plastic surgeon who makes $3,000,000+ per year.