How much more difficult is it to obtain competitive residency spots at lower-tier medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
^ Question says it all

Members don't see this ad.

There may be less "wiggle room" at a lower-tier school theoretically - low board scores and grades can essentially shut the door before you start, but if you show dedication to a given field and get some research under you belt, get solid board scores and perform well on clinical rotations you can really do just about anything. You don't even have to be some rockstar in all three either. Basically - you might have to show a little more tenacity at a "lower tier" school but I think it is easily overcome.

Also assuming US MD schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Cavs you and I are in near identical situations haha. These damn waitlists..

Members don't see this ad :)
Competitive specialties won't be THAT much harder for you. Competitive specialities in places like NYC or LA will be a lot harder to get into without the networking advantages.

Competitive specialties won't be. If you have the app for it you will likely get a spot. Getting into prestigious top programs in said specialties? Much more difficult. The incest at the front of the prestige train is comparable to an Alabama trailer park.

Reactions: 3 users
Competitive specialties won't be. If you have the app for it you will likely get a spot. Getting into prestigious top programs in said specialties? Much more difficult. The incest at the front of the prestige train is comparable to an Alabama trailer park.

Functional literacy levels are probably a lot higher, though.

Reactions: 2 users
The charting outcomes have a stat point that is percentage of matched applicants from top 40 NIH funded med schools by specialty. If memory serves, the numbers aren't overwhelmingly high. And considering top schools have many top applicants, I think what you've been told is true. It would be easier from a top school, but done from anywhere. For me, personally, I wasn't going to make it an excuse if I didn't get into a top school, but I don't think working any less for it from a top school is a good idea either.

Individual board scores and personal experience >> school tier