How much more do I need to study for Ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaka23h

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I just got my ochem 2 final grades and I made a 60/70 on the American chemistry society ochem test which covers ochem 1 and 2. I made a A in both Ochem 1 and 2 and I feel that I know the info pretty well. Do I still need study this section for the MCAT? I'm taking my test on July 18th and I feel like I'm just not studying as efficiently as I need to.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know whether or not you need to keep studying, but good job on that acs...what percentile is that?

p.s. i have read somewhere on here that the ACS is much more in depth and difficult than what is needed for the MCAT...i have nothing to back that up though

Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of Ochem. MCAT mostly tests the basics of Ochem 1. So as long as you have a good understanding of the fundamental principles you should be fine. I wouldnt completely ignore studying it. Maybe do a few practice exams with ochem in it just to brush up before the exam.

i don't know whether or not you need to keep studying, but good job on that acs...what percentile is that?

p.s. i have read somewhere on here that the ACS is much more in depth and difficult than what is needed for the MCAT...i have nothing to back that up though

kk thx guys and I think 60/70 is around a 90 ish percentile

Members don't see this ad :)
don't study for it. i took ochem 3 years prior to the mcat and did well in my ochem classes... and i just refreshed on nomenclature basically.

so it sounds like you have a good understanding of basic concepts, and that's all you really need. maybe review some purification procedures?

don't study for it. i took ochem 3 years prior to the mcat and did well in my ochem classes... and i just refreshed on nomenclature basically.

so it sounds like you have a good understanding of basic concepts, and that's all you really need. maybe review some purification procedures?

ya I figure i need some of the lab techniques since I have yet to take Ochem lab. I take it next semester :(

ya I figure i need some of the lab techniques since I haven't yet to take Ochem lab. I take it next semester :(

you don't necessarily need to know HOW to do the procedures, but you should know how they conceptually work. however, doing the procedures also helps people (including me) understand things.