How much O-Chem II on the OAT?

xoforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone who has recently taken the OAT- can you give me a general idea of how much O-Chem II there is on the OAT in comparison to O-Chem I? Or would you say there are equal amounts of both.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I took the oat with just ochem I under my belt and thought it was kinda rough. Not too bad though. Then i took ochem II and took the oat and did a lot better. Just get a list of all the reactions, memorize them, and you're good to go.

Haha, I didn't take Ochem II at all and scored 350 on the orgo section. There were no questions I didn't know or that seemed unfamiliar, all of them were things I've learned before in the first course. OrgoII isn't mandatory for all the optometry schools (cause you can take intro biochemistry instead) so they definitely don't test it directly. The advantage you do have with taking II is that you get greater exposure and experience with drawing out reactions and stuff (I'm assuming you've taken it?). Just go over the Kaplan book or other prep material and you should be set.

I'd like to clarify something. There is the same amount of ochem II on it as there is the DAT (which requires OchemII). HOWEVER, scoring is different. There's 30 questions, just like gen chem and i'm sure you have seen that there is a 3-4 question cushion difference between the two. I don't have the table in front of me but lets say that 18/30 scores you a 300 on gen chem. On ochem, 18/30 would score you a 330. Again, I'm making up these scores because I don't have the table in front of me, but you get the point. That's why I say that it is VERY easy to up your score on ochem by taking ochem II.

Thanks for the help guys!! Yes I've taken Ochem-II but didn't do as well as I wanted- that is the reason for my concern. Well I'm enrolled in a Kaplan OAT course for this summer..yipppee!! I just recieved the material today... it doesn't look too bad. Any general study tips? :)