How Much of a Role Does Math Play?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Integralpix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In audiology school and in the profession itself?

How many of you worried about this or had to make adjustments in order to meet mathematic demands of courses, procedures, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

In audiology school and in the profession itself?

How many of you worried about this or had to make adjustments in order to meet mathematic demands of courses, procedures, etc?

I am not in graduate school yet, but the audiologist I work with says it plays a very small role in the profession (diagnostics and hearing aids-- pretty much all she does at the hospital). Graduate school is a different story, she states they incorporate it as much as posisble! Hope this helps

I haven't had to take any math classes outright. The math you'll be using will most likely be incorporated into a course in research methods and perhaps statistical analysis in your projects. Other math you may need to do is 3 frequency averaging for PTA and addition required for masking (i.e. nothing hard). Some programs do require a research stats course, but you'll have to look into your prefered program's curriculum to see if that's required. All in all, unless you're focus is on research and data analysis, you won't be doing anything very taxing.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your program has an acoustics class that could involve a lot of math. Mine did. Some programs have this as a prerequisite instead. It's pretty much just knowing how to deal with log's and memorizing formulas for adding pressure, intensity, or decibels.

Some of my classmates struggle with math a lot and acoustics class was really hard for them, but that's the only time it's really come up. It seems like software does most of the difficult math for us when it comes to hearings aids and so forth.

If your program has an acoustics class that could involve a lot of math. Mine did. Some programs have this as a prerequisite instead. It's pretty much just knowing how to deal with log's and memorizing formulas for adding pressure, intensity, or decibels.

Some of my classmates struggle with math a lot and acoustics class was really hard for them, but that's the only time it's really come up. It seems like software does most of the difficult math for us when it comes to hearings aids and so forth.

Ah, good call. I did forget about that. We did instrumentation and learned basic sound measurement properties and how to calculate speaker output levels and so forth. Also, in hearing conservation, we had to determine noise using certain instruments and formulas. It's not THAT bad, but it does involve a calculator and some number crunching.

Ah, good call. I did forget about that. We did instrumentation and learned basic sound measurement properties and how to calculate speaker output levels and so forth. Also, in hearing conservation, we had to determine noise using certain instruments and formulas. It's not THAT bad, but it does involve a calculator and some number crunching.
Lucky! We had no calculator allowed sections of our tests! =)