How much of an advantage...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t2oo5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of an advantage do you guys think comes with taking the MCAT mid April instead of mid May? We all know how important it is to start getting those primaries out early, however, its more convenient for me to take the May MCAT. Should I sacrifice convenience for that one month jump?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand the question. The AMCAS can't be submitted until early June so why should it matter if you take the MCAT in March or April. Furthemore, wouldn't any advantage of taking it early acrue to those who are taking it in March (which you say is more convenient for you)?

In the US, it is not even offered in March.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand the question. The AMCAS can't be submitted until early June so why should it matter if you take the MCAT in March or April. Furthemore, wouldn't any advantage of taking it early acrue to those who are taking it in March (which you say is more convenient for you)?

Well that answers my question. I was under the assumption that the AMCAS was able to be submitted anytime after receiving MCAT scores.
Thanks.

Depending on where you're at, the April MCAT is almost all filled up already. Taking the MCAT in April lets you know what your score is in May and allows you to submit the AMCAS in June with the score uploaded. If you take it in May and are not sure how well you've done, would you be willing to submit the amcas in June without knowing your score? Otherwise if you wait until the May score comes out, then it will be July when you can submit the Amcas. I would choose April, however, the choice is up to you, but applying early is the key.

Depending on where you're at, the April MCAT is almost all filled up already. Taking the MCAT in April lets you know what your score is in May and allows you to submit the AMCAS in June with the score uploaded. If you take it in May and are not sure how well you've done, would you be willing to submit the amcas in June without knowing your score? Otherwise if you wait until the May score comes out, then it will be July when you can submit the Amcas. I would choose April, however, the choice is up to you, but applying early is the key.

applying in June with a May MCAT or July with a June MCAT is still pretty early.

Not entirely accurate. You get your score 30 days after you take it, so if you take it at the end of May, you might be pushed to the first or second of July to submit. But you don't have to wait for your score to work on your application, and can submit for verification without your score.

There's is minimal advantage in taking it in April vs. taking it in May, unless you do poorly on that try. Then taking it in April is more advantageous, because you can still spend a few months studying and take it earlier to be considered 'early' still.