how much of info do you give

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. N

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much of personal info is appropriate to give away in your personal statement? family? kids? age?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. N said:
I was wondering how much of personal info is appropriate to give away in your personal statement? family? kids? age?

Be as personal as you need to be to show your love of medicine and why you want to be a doctor. Of course, use your best judgment. There are some things which I probably do not have to mention that would not be appropriate, but what you have mentioned seems valid. Just remember that you have a limited amount of space so make sure to include the most important information or just concentrate on things that you feel are important in your decision to pursue medicine. I had to cut out a few experiences but I felt my PS flowed better and really captured my view and love of medicine. You should also try to explain any questionable things on your application like a bad freshman year or a bad semester due to family or health problems. PM me if you have any more questions.

Needless to say, don't restate your qualifications (activities, vol, etc) unless you need to expand on them. They can always find that info within your AMCAS app. Rather be completely open and personal. It is a personal statemet, with the emphasis on "personal." This is pretty difficult, but try to share some experiences that are unique to you and tie them in with your desires to pursue a career in medicine. Good luck!

drj and martian mike are right on with their suggestions so listen to them...