Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

how much of info do you give

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. N, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Dr. N

Dr. N Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I was wondering how much of personal info is appropriate to give away in your personal statement? family? kids? age?

2. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Be as personal as you need to be to show your love of medicine and why you want to be a doctor. Of course, use your best judgment. There are some things which I probably do not have to mention that would not be appropriate, but what you have mentioned seems valid. Just remember that you have a limited amount of space so make sure to include the most important information or just concentrate on things that you feel are important in your decision to pursue medicine. I had to cut out a few experiences but I felt my PS flowed better and really captured my view and love of medicine. You should also try to explain any questionable things on your application like a bad freshman year or a bad semester due to family or health problems. PM me if you have any more questions.

3. martianMIKE

martianMIKE Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Needless to say, don't restate your qualifications (activities, vol, etc) unless you need to expand on them. They can always find that info within your AMCAS app. Rather be completely open and personal. It is a personal statemet, with the emphasis on "personal." This is pretty difficult, but try to share some experiences that are unique to you and tie them in with your desires to pursue a career in medicine. Good luck!

4. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    drj and martian mike are right on with their suggestions so listen to them...