How much of Step1uworld covers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone says FA covers 70-80% of step1 as a stand alone source.
I would like to know how much uworld covers step1 if we use it as a single source?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
To simplify everything on this forum....as long as you know your basic sciences well, and are comfortable of it all....then utilize FA to hone in on what is important...and supplement more info you gain/learn through UWORLD...if done correctly...then 99% is a very possible goal. This is just a very generalized answer...but by no means should be assumed that it is the only thing you need. The biggest condition to this....knowing your basic sciences really well. hope this was somewhat helpful.

To simplify everything on this forum....as long as you know your basic sciences well, and are comfortable of it all....then utilize FA to hone in on what is important...and supplement more info you gain/learn through UWORLD...if done correctly...then 99% is a very possible goal. This is just a very generalized answer...but by no means should be assumed that it is the only thing you need. The biggest condition to this....knowing your basic sciences really well. hope this was somewhat helpful.

I agree.

FA is fairly weak on basic sciences. I'm not saying it doesn't cover it- just not very in depth to provide adequate understanding. And in some cases it simply touches on it. Also, I'd say FA pathophys is weak. Phys ok, path ok, but pathophys is weak- and it does need supplementing....goljan helps here.

You agree that a 99% is possible with FA + UW? 99% what? percent? percentile?

You agree that a 99% is possible with FA + UW? 99% what? percent? percentile?
Yes 99% percentile. Ultimately, knowing your subjects well, and then being COMFORTABLE with types of questions they ask on the exam...and time management on questions, and being able to weed out superflous info in the stem...are all necessary components of scoring very high on this exam (i have done my research and asked numerous friends and family members of mine on this to come to this conclusion). ...... I have noticed that many of "resources" that are trending and are really effective such pathoma...is a great example of how a very boring/detail intense subject can be clarified and be effective in its means to provide you with information that is pertinent (aka high yield). The thing with goljan is that he is very very intense, and very detailed. He is in my opinion also a good resource to utilize. I am a firm believer in studying smart, not dumb. If I do not understand for example...renal physio...i will bust out with guyton, read it, take notes, no matter how detailed it is in the book itself, but just go through it...and then keep revising it, keep making those connections in your head, and just like that, you will have mastered it. Do questions, you will get some/many wrong. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED....it is a LEARNING TOOL. therefore...LEARN!!! go over right and wrong answers. take notes, and add them to your FA. and bam, you have understood the subject, have a very good idea of how they can ask certain facts and concepts regarding that subject, and you have FA to supplement it all. There is absolutely no way you cant do well then. The grueling part about this entire exam is that the process i just detailed out for you has to be applied to every freaking subject. Thats why this exam is hard. add the stress factor..and this is obviously a nightmare. but it doesnt have to be. why? because thousands of people have done this, and are doing it, and they have gone through almost the same exact feelings/emotions. Sorry for rambling but i am just trying my best to give an honest answer, and hopefully some others can add other info i might have missed. In the end, do it the right way, and do not utilize unknown resources. hope this helps! i posted my study log if you wanted to check it out. actually...i made myself look like an idiot, but regardless its a good read i guess.

whoa...did not expect that. What do you have against paragraphs? tl;dr. sorry :(

Anything is possible, but 99th percentile seems very unlikely with just FA and UW.

whoa...did not expect that. What do you have against paragraphs? tl;dr. sorry :(

Anything is possible, but 99th percentile seems very unlikely with just FA and UW.
No...it is possible. PROVIDING you have a very Very strong basic science background! Think about it, what else are you going to utilize...other qbanks? other pathology books? its all coming down to the same thing. many people in the experiences thread have utilized these two only after ironing all the wrinkles in their knowledge, then took the nbme, did great, and took the exam, and passed with a high score. but to each his own. i just thought i would add my two cents :) best of luck to you and to all!