How much of the MCAT covers physics section: Light, Fluids, Thermodynamics.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiamed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I were to take MCAT classes this summer, I wouldn't have yet completed the last quarter of my physics seris (6C): Light, Fluids, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics. The course information: geometrical and physical optics, fluid statics and dynamics, thermodynamics. Selected topics from foundations of quantum mechanics; atomics, nuclear and particle physics; relativity; medical detectors; biological applications.

My friend told me the MCAT physics sections doesn't really emhpasize the above mentioned concepts, but i'm still going to take the class before taking mcat... i'm mostly going to self-study my Physics 6C class... Is that okay?
I've already studied mechanics, waves, elec, mag. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you say "I'm still going to take the course before taking the mcat" and then say you're going to self-study it, you're contradicting yourself?

Regardless, self-studying something you've never learned in a course is a bad idea. BAD IDEA.

You should expect any of the physics topics mentioned by AAMC to be tested on the MCAT. Fluids is definitely a topic that you should be familiar with.

Well what i meant to say is that i'm def going to take the class in sept.. but during my summer classes, i'm going to have to self study it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just take the MCAT after you finish all the prereqs. I assume this is Physics II? There's no point in rushing. You won't have a solid basis from which to review.

I'd say it depends on how dedicated you are. If you are very dedicated and don't have other things to study for, you could definitely learn those topics (other than modern physics, which you don't really need), but if you glance over those topics and get those topics on your test (which you most likely will), you'll start with something like 11 points instead of 15.