How much of the pre-reqs are too much at a CC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennyboy5406

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken all of gen-chem with labs at my cc and the first calc...should I focus on transferring now? Or can I do Bio and calc here too before moving on?, it's just that I can't keep taking pointless classes other than the pre-reqs.. any help?

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken all of gen-chem with labs at my cc and the first calc...should I focus on transferring now? Or can I do Bio and calc here too before moving on?, it's just that I can't keep taking pointless classes other than the pre-reqs.. any help?
transfer. some schools won't accept CC prereqs. others will just red flag them. do all of your prereqs in your 4 yr undergrad if possible to save you grief

Really?...ughhh it sucks cuz I can't just take pointless classes ya know?..so if I start taking calc and bio at my cc it a really really BAD move???!!

Members don't see this ad :)
some med schools care, some do not. Do you have an idea of where you want to go? If the med school that you want to go too, does not accept CC credits.. well then you don't have a choice.

I am a non science major who graduated with my BA in may. I returned back to CC to finish my prereqs... why? Because I now work there and receive free tuition!! I'm planning to apply to a handful of schools and the ones I have contacted have told me that they do not care if the prereq came from a CC.

research. inquire. and you'll get your answer:)

I took all of my gen chem with labs at a community college, as well as calc I and II, and ochem labs. So I had a significant portion of my premed requirements completed at community colleges. I have had a lot of success with interviews and already have two acceptances.

However, I did have to explain myself to a couple of schools. I also took several upper division science classes at my university and did well in them. It's just a part of your whole application... You will make your life easier if you just take your science classes at a university, but it's certainly not a dealbreaker at most schools, especially if you demonstrate that you can handle tough science coursework and that you didn't take the classes at a CC in order to inflate your GPA.

Make life easier and take bio w/lab and a ochem w/lab (1 semester). You can finish the second part of them at the school you transfer to. If you have a good application like the rest of the applicants, you will be fine.

The first thing you should do is contact the schools you will want to apply to at application time and find out if they care about where the pre-req's come from.

Try to take as many as possible at a 4-year. If you do end up taking several at a CC, take some upper division classes in those subjects once you transfer.

Also, I don't see calculus at a CC being as much of a problem as the other pre-req's.

I took Bio I and II at a CC and now that I'm at a 4-year I'm loading up on upper division bio classes. I don't think it will be a problem.

Don't listen to any of these people, I go to a CC and we just had a recent Pre-Med conference, Admissions officers from top schools told us that CC credits are fine. What's they do frown upon is taking CC class while attending a university. So do well at your CC, transfer to a good university, do well there so that you prove to them that you can handle university course work. Yup that's all.

Don't trip

Don't listen to any of these people, I go to a CC and we just had a recent Pre-Med conference, Admissions officers from top schools told us that CC credits are fine. What's they do frown upon is taking CC class while attending a university. So do well at your CC, transfer to a good university, do well there so that you prove to them that you can handle university course work. Yup that's all.

Don't trip

The problem with your post is that you are applying the advice from the faculty of a handful of schools to all schools. I've been told straight up by the one school that I've asked that they don't accept pre-req's from community colleges. That school was UNC. That was two years ago, so things might have changed, but that's a definite no straight from the horses mouth, which is why I told the OP that he should call all of the schools that he's interested in and ask them directly instead of taking the word of strangers on the internet.

The problem with your post is that you are applying the advice from the faculty of a handful of schools to all schools. I've been told straight up by the one school that I've asked that they don't accept pre-req's from community colleges. That school was UNC. That was two years ago, so things might have changed, but that's a definite no straight from the horses mouth, which is why I told the OP that he should call all of the schools that he's interested in and ask them directly instead of taking the word of strangers on the internet.

I just got clarification on that from their admission office, because that is not something which is stated under their admission information pages. I apologize if the clarification is almost more confusing.

The FIRST answer was that they do not accept CC credits for pre-reqs, but that was followed by the statement that if those credits have been transferred for credit to a university, they are likely to be okay. Also, he said that they specifically do not accept biochem, genetics, or cell and molec taken at a CC as meeting their pre-reqs. (The cell and molec and genetics are "strongly recommended" courses there.) That makes sense, since those are upper level courses, and those courses at the CC campuses are not meant for science majors.

English taken prior to transfer would be okay. Taking it at the CC while or after enrolled in the four year would not be advisable.

They prefer that students who have questions about whether a specific course is acceptable under specific circumstances speak to them directly.

I've found that is the general attitude for most places that have a bias - that the final determination depends not just on whether an institution was a two or four year one, but strongly on the circumstances under which they were taken, during which part of the educational process they were taken, AND whether the student continued to take upper level courses at a four year and both do well in them and do well on the MCAT.

It makes sense that if you are a science major and take upper level classes at the university, those CC prereqs are likely to be viewed differently than if you are a humanities major and take all of the BCMP courses at a community college.

It may be that UNC is one of the more reluctant institutions to accept them. I know that they hold a rather strong stance about considering those who complete college in fewer than four years.

This is something that really bugs me... I started out at my CC, and ended up taking Bio I, ochem I, and both gen chems there. It was just so much closer and cheaper, and class sizes were actually in the double digits (as opposed to my 300+ student classes at my university). I wish the teachers and classes at my university were even half the quality they were at my CC. Profs there actually gave a crap about teaching, as opposed to my university where anyone doing research has to teach. Everything about my local CC is soooo much better than my univrsity, and it annoys me when CCs are looked down on.

This is something that really bugs me... I started out at my CC, and ended up taking Bio I, ochem I, and both gen chems there. It was just so much closer and cheaper, and class sizes were actually in the double digits (as opposed to my 300+ student classes at my university). I wish the teachers and classes at my university were even half the quality they were at my CC. Profs there actually gave a crap about teaching, as opposed to my university where anyone doing research has to teach. Everything about my local CC is soooo much better than my univrsity, and it annoys me when CCs are looked down on.

Some CCs have excellent quality of teaching and learning if you chose your professors right. People on their high horse will look down upon them, without knowing anything of it. After I transferred everything did get significantly easier.

One of the ways you can counter many prereqs taken at a CC is to take upper division science courses once you transfer. Here is the issue - you might have to take additional science courses even if you don't need them for your major (especially non-science). So if you took OChem at CC, taking a higher level OChem at a regular university would help to prove that you can do it. In CA, the CC courses are often more difficult than most of the UC courses (at least UCLA), but the misconception among medschools about CCs and even State Universities (CalState) is there to stay for now.

You will not be looked upon as badly as someone who started at a four year, but took her science classes at a CC. Now that's tough to prove that you weren't trying to avoid the "hard" classes at the four year. Having started at a CC provides a good explanation as to why you took the pre-reqs there. It's still amazing that some schools blankly do not accept any CC pre-reqs (Wake Forest?). Let's hope that changes because I think that if the economic crisis doesn't subside, more and more students will be forced to start at a CC.

I say contact the schools you plan to attend and ask them.:D

Awesome! I'm glad you posted that because UNC is an in-state school for me and it and Brody are my top two choices. I took Bio 1 and 2 at a CC, and was worried about applying to UNC. My numbers probably aren't good enough for UNC, but I'm going to apply anyways and hope they forgive the stupidity of my late teens.

I wish the teachers and classes at my university were even half the quality they were at my CC. Profs there actually gave a crap about teaching, as opposed to my university where anyone doing research has to teach. Everything about my local CC is soooo much better than my univrsity, and it annoys me when CCs are looked down on.

x2. My community college instructors were ten times better teachers than what I'm getting at my 4-year public university. They didn't go easy on us, and they made us learn the material, but like you said they actually gave a crap if we were learning.