How much of UW is in FA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of UW is in FA ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'd say there's about 80% overlap. Good amount of questions in uworld you won't be able to answer with FA. And FA packs in some details that uworld won't ask. You will definitely see instances though where there is a seemingly unimportant detail in FA and then see a question about it in uworld.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
probably less than 4 out of 44 isn't in the first aid, although first aid oversimplifies some of the materials so you might overlook them if you just study FA

That's interesting. I'm working on both of them, but was just wondering about FA. Thanks guys...

I was also wondering about this. What score range can one be in if they only do FA?
One of my peers a year ahead of me once said that Step 1 could be broken down like this:

33% FA
33% UWORLD
33% HOW THE F*** DO THEY EXPECT ME TO KNOW THIS?!?!?!?!?!?

Based on those metrics, you would fail only using FA with no questions to boost your knowledge!

One of my peers a year ahead of me once said that Step 1 could be broken down like this:

33% FA
33% UWORLD
33% HOW THE F*** DO THEY EXPECT ME TO KNOW THIS?!?!?!?!?!?

Based on those metrics, you would fail only using FA with no questions to boost your knowledge!

Pretty much agree. I don't know what kind of test people were getting when they said 90% was in First Aid. Not the same one I took. This is a reasoning/logic test not a vomit back out facts test. I had maybe 10 out of 44 questions per block that knowing "classic presentations" or hard facts were all that were required.

Actually, CodeRedDew who got 266 did say "So I took the exam today and well, for the most part A LOT of the information was in First Aid (~90-95%). There were actually even a few questions that were straight regurgitation of the random facts that you’d possible “skip” over/disregard and say "there's no F'N way that'll be tested", which is a statement I used to often say before I started doing the NBMEs. So if I had one piece of advice to give, it’s to GET TO KNOW YOUR FIRST AID – inside and out. There is absolutely no other book that is a better “bang for your time” if you will. It literally has the answers to so many tests questions it’s ridiculous. I say to say this however; UNDERSTANDING FA is key ─ each and every line, period, exclamation point, whatever. If you don’t know what something is, how it looks, or the pathophysiology isn’t explain in FA – LOOK IT UP, it will serve you wonders when you take the actual exam."

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...experiences-and-scores-thread.1104788/page-60

I'm following other students' advises, but I am utilizing all 3 resources and doing questions from UW+old NBMEs+finished Pathoma 2-3x+FA2-3x. I just pray to God daily that I achieve my goal successfully.

I suppose if you google/wikipedia every disease/pathway/drug/organism in first aid and then proceed to read the first 10 research articles, etc on it then yes, I agree that most of the step is in first aid. I still think that goljan RR is necessary for disease mechanisms. First aid I thought was really deficient in pathophysiology. I also thought it wasn't that great for anatomy. Also had numerous drugs that weren't in FA. I think I did well on the exam, this isn't sour grapes. I have friends that were scoring pretty low on practice exams say the exam wasn't that tough (and their test is probably graded far more strict). It's all about the questions that get selected for you. I actually wanted harder questions.

Actually, CodeRedDew who got 266 did say "So I took the exam today and well, for the most part A LOT of the information was in First Aid (~90-95%). There were actually even a few questions that were straight regurgitation of the random facts that you’d possible “skip” over/disregard and say "there's no F'N way that'll be tested", which is a statement I used to often say before I started doing the NBMEs. So if I had one piece of advice to give, it’s to GET TO KNOW YOUR FIRST AID – inside and out. There is absolutely no other book that is a better “bang for your time” if you will. It literally has the answers to so many tests questions it’s ridiculous. I say to say this however; UNDERSTANDING FA is key ─ each and every line, period, exclamation point, whatever. If you don’t know what something is, how it looks, or the pathophysiology isn’t explain in FA – LOOK IT UP, it will serve you wonders when you take the actual exam."

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...experiences-and-scores-thread.1104788/page-60

I'm following other students' advises, but I am utilizing all 3 resources and doing questions from UW+old NBMEs+finished Pathoma 2-3x+FA2-3x. I just pray to God daily that I achieve my goal successfully.

How many questions did CodeRedDew complete in addition to FA? My point is that by doing FA BY ITSELF, with no other resources and no question banks, one would fail Step 1.

I'd love to see a study correlating scores to each study resource, and then to all variations their combinations.

How many questions did CodeRedDew complete in addition to FA? My point is that by doing FA BY ITSELF, with no other resources and no question banks, one would fail Step 1.
Agreed, but at the same time if you truly knew and understood every single fact in FA you would likely get a very high score.