How much of your health do you need to sacrifice to pursue medicine?

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard about the polls where like forty percent of general surgeons are obese and such. Based on the vibes I'm getting from some people on SDN, it seems to me that being a doctor of medicine means that you often end up in poor health as a result of the lifestyle.

I have an strong appreciation for the human body and health in general—a legitimate reason to have an interest in the healthcare field.

My question is, is it possible to hit the gym and have time to eat healthy as a physician? It would seem very hypocritical for your doctor to be in horrible health themselves; you have to practice what you preach!

I don't have a problem drinking caffeine and eating junk food during finals week for the sake of getting good grades, but when I hear about 72 hour resident shifts I can't comprehend how that's humanly possible let alone safe for the patient they're treating or themselves.

I would be OK in crappy health if it meant being compensated for the years being shaved off my life, but now you tell me how that's not the case either.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd really appreciate any responses from people. Not sure if this is something I want to pursue if it means I'm gonna die in a nursing home as a result of being in such crappy health.

So I'm just an MS1 (almost MS2) so take everything I say with a hypertension-inducing amount of salt.

I and many/most of my classmates have found time to stay healthy by exercising and eating at least relatively well throughout our first year of medical school. People run half marathons, play sports several times/week, or just go to the gym and work out on a regular basis. If you prioritize it, it's definitely doable.

People I know who are in their clinical year are still able to stay healthy (people are still playing sports and running half marathons and working out and such) - it's just something to prioritize. Eating might be harder because you're in the hospital so much, but you definitely do have at least a couple hours/week to work out if that's something that's important to you.

Residency is tough, but I still see residents all the time at the gym (through a range of specialties), though I'm sure the amount of time you have available to work out and the inclination/ability to eat well drops of significantly from the levels they were at during medical school.

That being said, I know attendings both at my institution and elsewhere in all sorts of specialties (ranging from dermatology to pulmonology to neurosurgery and beyond) that decided that being fit and healthy is a priority and are still able to do many of the things I described my MS1 class doing (half marathons, sports, working out, etc).

Is it harder to stay fit and healthy during a career in medicine compared to a less demanding career path? Obviously. Is it impossible? Definitely not - you just have to be disciplined, make your health a priority, and commit to making choices that are conducive to that goal.

Again, disclaimer that I am only a first year medical student.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's a priority for you, you'll make time for it.

Will you be able to put the same amount of time in as someone else in their 20's who gets a degree in marketing and only works 9-5 5 days a week? Unlikely, just as you'll probably never match that person's social life either. It's simply just math. There are 168 hours in a week and if you're at the hospital for 80 of those, you just don't have the same amount of free time as someone who only works 1/2 that

One of the neurocritical care fellows at my institution came in second in the Boston Run to Remember half-marathon with a time of 1:14. That was during his first year of fellowship (PGY5).

He came in 62nd overall in the Boston Marathon in 2006 as a PGY2, with a time of 2:34. Only 61 men were faster than him, and that includes the Kenyans and Olympic quality athletes.

He was single and had no children, but still. He didn't sacrifice his health, but he spent most of his time away from the hospital running. You can do the same.

You have to sacrifice something. Relationships. Health. Sanity. Sleep. Hobbies. Grades. Research. But you can keep must of it. Choose wisely.

Reactions: 1 user
Well this is assuring. I probably won't become Rich Piana, but won't be a slouch either. Thanks

Lmao, this isn't a cost-benefit trade-off. As a doctor, you should find the time to balance things.

As a doctor, you can. As a medical student and resident, the only way to do so is to sacrifice sleep and burn yourself out. There's so many hours in a day.

I mean in first year if you're not bent on getting straight As its pretty reasonable to work out, eat healthy, do fun stuff, etc.

I mean in first year if you're not bent on getting straight As its pretty reasonable to work out, eat healthy, do fun stuff, etc.
Depends. At my school first year was a nightmare (it's kind of a weed-out year in a way) and second year was really chill up until February or so. But at most schools I hear first year is a relative cakewalk and having a balanced life is pretty reasonable.

I've heard about the polls where like forty percent of general surgeons are obese and such. Based on the vibes I'm getting from some people on SDN, it seems to me that being a doctor of medicine means that you often end up in poor health as a result of the lifestyle.

I have an strong appreciation for the human body and health in general—a legitimate reason to have an interest in the healthcare field.

My question is, is it possible to hit the gym and have time to eat healthy as a physician? It would seem very hypocritical for your doctor to be in horrible health themselves; you have to practice what you preach!

I don't have a problem drinking caffeine and eating junk food during finals week for the sake of getting good grades, but when I hear about 72 hour resident shifts I can't comprehend how that's humanly possible let alone safe for the patient they're treating or themselves.

I would be OK in crappy health if it meant being compensated for the years being shaved off my life, but now you tell me how that's not the case either.
all of my classmates caught CF during school, it was the only way we could make it

About a third of the US population is overweight or obese. From what I've seen doctors more or less mirror this. It's not the most active job. And Some specialties are more sedentary than others. As with any job if you have a good diet and find time to exercise you'll do fine.

Will there be times during your practice and training when you won't make it to the gym? Absolutely. Will there be times when you are up all night with no food around other than the junk food they stock the residents lounge with? Absolutely. But when you aren't in those situations it's up to you to make better choices. It's the same in any field.

Reactions: 1 user
About a third of the US population is overweight or obese. From what I've seen doctors more or less mirror this. It's not the most active job. And Some specialties are more sedentary than others. As with any job if you have a good diet and find time to exercise you'll do fine.

Will there be times during your practice and training when you won't make it to the gym? Absolutely. Will there be times when you are up all night with no food around other than the junk food they stock the residents lounge with? Absolutely. But when you aren't in those situations it's up to you to make better choices. It's the same in any field.

I am pretty comfortable in saying that the number of people on SDN that work more hours than me is countable on one hand. If I can make it to the gym and eat reasonably healthily, anyone can. If they don't, they value other things more. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. But, that is the reality. If your health is your priority, you can exercise and eat as well as anyone. You will need to plan ahead. You will need to sacrifice other things in order to do it, but it most certainly can be done.

Reactions: 4 users