How much OMT is in COMLEX PE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suck at OMT, although I'm good with my other classes and physical exam skills.

Was wondering how large a component OMT is during the COMLEX PE. Do we have to make correct diagnoses and treatments/how do we even have time for this during the short window with the Px?

Anyone who has experienced this able to weigh in?

Members don't see this ad.

They say 3 - 5 of the 12 cases will require some sort of OMT. Most of my friends had 3 cases, I had 4. Generally it's pretty obvious when you need to do it. As far as getting correct diagnoses - nobody is there to check after you, so just make sure whatever you come up with makes halfway decent sense, and then make sure your treatment actually treats your diagnosis. To save time, use shorter treatments and avoid having the patient reposition more than once or twice.

I thought I had probably failed because afterwards I thought one of my treatments was inappropriate for my diagnosis, along with a few other reasons, but I passed.

I had it on 3 cases, totally blanked on the 3rd and ended up promising the SP that I'd have a treatment ready next time if RICE didn't work for him. I passed.

Patients will basically ask you for OMT if you need to do it. Something along the lines of "a friend has some type of manipulation done, do you think that might help here?" etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had it on 3 cases, totally blanked on the 3rd and ended up promising the SP that I'd have a treatment ready next time if RICE didn't work for him. I passed.

Patients will basically ask you for OMT if you need to do it. Something along the lines of "a friend has some type of manipulation done, do you think that might help here?" etc.

Is it fair to say they are pretty lenient during the PE exam, as long as you're somewhat normal and ask the right questions?

Is it fair to say they are pretty lenient during the PE exam, as long as you're somewhat normal and ask the right questions?

I don't know if I'd say that. But I'm saying the OMM part is not a big deal, and shouldn't provoke stress/anxiety.

Can I do all myofascial release/soft tissue or lymphatic effleurage techniques for all 4 of the potential cases?

Last edited:
Can I do all myofascial release/soft tissue or lymphatic effleurage techniques for all 4 of the potential cases?

Depends on what kind of case it is. Nobody knows which cases you'll get, so you'll just have to see what you end up getting and plan accordingly.

It completely depends on what kind of cases you get. I had 1 OMM case in each block of patients. Myofascial release didn't make sense for 1 of my patients, but I honestly didn't know exactly what I did. I just made sure to explain something while I was palpating. I passed.

I honestly focused more on perfecting my timing for my note. I'm a proficient typer and didn't take all my time doing the physical exam, but still felt rushed typing up my note.

Keep it basic. Find dysfunction (TART), treat it with something easy like inhibition or myofascial release, and the reassess, reassess, reassess. I had 4 patients that needed OMT and they basically ask for it. I'm good at OMT, but I chose to do easy treatments for time's sake. I think I did facilitated positional release, myofascial release, and inhibition. Waited like 15 seconds for the area to "relax" and then the patient said they felt better or the area was less tender. Fast and easy. GL!

I had 2 OMM cases (one was questionable as to if I had to do OMM but I still did) - all I did was stretching/ massage and still passed. I also did not segmentally define the dysfunction bc it takes so much time. I just put somatic dysfunction of the region. Always recheck and ask if the pt felt better.