how much Orgo is involved in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hammer_time

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much organic chemistry is involved in Dental School? I know there is biochemistry but is there classes like bioOrganic chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

none, i think biochem is as far as it will go

Members don't see this ad :)
And biochem itself is extremely limited at some schools. The biochem section on NBDE I isn't really biochem as you probably learned it in undergrad. It's more like phsyiology-based biochem.

To me it was just plain physiology.

I don't think this counts as USING orgo, but we did have to have a cursory knowledge of free radicals for dental materials.

hammer_time said:
How much organic chemistry is involved in Dental School? I know there is biochemistry but is there classes like bioOrganic chemistry?

ZILCH...NADA....NUNCA

Not sure about the classes now, but when i was taking pharmacology in dental school, about 0.001% was dedicated to ochem.

Calculus1 said:
I don't think this counts as USING orgo, but we did have to have a cursory knowledge of free radicals for dental materials.

yeah, but that's just to remember for the test and forget all about once it's over.