How much research...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brandonite

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how much research everyone did as an undergrad, or at least before applying MD/PhD...

I will have had three summers and a full year. A couple very independent projects, at least later on. Earlier, I was working very closely with my PI. This year, while I am applying, I will be doing basically nothing but research, basically on my own, on a pretty cool project.

Am I pretty much average? Or below average? I am just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

Brando,
I think that's very good. It's about 2ce the amount of biomedical research I had when I applied. Though I had 4.5 yrs of research in math at the time, I think they tend to focus a bit more on biomedical research experience. Just make sure you can communicate it like a bad ass. I was just talking with some guy from Princeton this afternoon, and I could tell that he had done alot, but he just couldn't get it out of his mouth. I think the most crucial part is being able to talk about the work smoothly; and also knowing enough tangential work in the area. Spend enough time reading publications from your's and related labs. Get a solid grasp of the whys (theory) as well as the hows (technique/methods) of your specific research. You'll do great!

Sounds like you will have an adequate research experience when you're ready for a MD/Ph.D training. Like Original said, I agree that understanding of your/related research both in theory and practice is what counts, not how many years of research experience. Also, be clear about why the dual degree, not just the Ph.D to fulfill your goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a summer and a quarter when I applied. It's about quality, not quantity.

i'm applying now - 3 summers@merck (molec neuro in biomed industry) and 3 years during the year (1 year developmental lab and 2 years in computational bio). i didn't know about md/phd till late my soph year, and didn't know whether i wanted med or phd. this makes it easier.

i can articulate what i've done pretty well, and some tangential topics - but i don't have a solid grounding in 2 out of the 3 fields (coursework), which kind of worries me. its ok though, i don't mind pulling the "i don't know" :D .i only have 1 pub (one of two authors - being reviewd currently) and one probably in a few months (too late to claim it) to show for it, which doesn't seem like too much for 3 years of work. i enjoyed it though, for what thats worth. whatever, the year will tell, i'm looking forward to it (note: this sentiment is pre-secondaries :) ).
-jot

I have done almost 4 years in physiology as an undergrad. The first two years were learning the ropes and working with a grad student. I had my own projects, but they were supervised by her. The past two years have been on my own. I also did a year in a human genetics lab as part of a requirement for an honors degree in biology. That was a solo project after a short training period. I am taking a year off(just graduated, applying now), and I am going to continue to work in the physiology lab during that time. I don't have any pubs yet... you all know how these things can go sometimes. It seems likely that I will have one within a few months though.

I am a firm believer in quality not quantity! If you did two years of great research and you can articulate it well, it's more important than four years and no understanding of what you did.

When I apply I will have 3 summers and 3 years of research.