How much shadowing is enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't see how you can shadow the same person for more than 20 hours or so total. Is it important that you've got some shadowing exposure and that you can talk about it... or do the hours actually matter? I personally can't see a physician allowing me to shadow him or her that much.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need atleast 5000 hrs in each speciality.

I can't see how you can shadow the same person for more than 20 hours or so total. Is it important that you've got some shadowing exposure and that you can talk about it... or do the hours actually matter? I personally can't see a physician allowing me to shadow him or her that much.

I have 0 shadowing experience so I think it has hurt my interview invites a little. But when it comes to the interviews I've had, I managed to get around the shadowing questions by being confident and knowledgeable about what it takes to be a doctor and expressing my experience working with them at my job at the hospital and talking to them during my volunteering. But I would highly recommend you shadow until you are confident enough to know what being a doctor will entail and be able to articulate that. In one of my interviews for a school, I was completely grilled for my 0 shadowing experience and none of the interviewers would let it go regardless of my extensive clinical experience. Personally, I find the whole shadowing thing inane because of its nature. You follow a doctor around and become the awkward wallflower when they see patients. It seems so pointless to me because it's only a glimpse into what being a doctor is like and it might not even be the kind of doctor that you want to be.

I have 0 shadowing experience so I think it has hurt my interview invites a little. But when it comes to the interviews I've had, I managed to get around the shadowing questions by being confident and knowledgeable about what it takes to be a doctor and expressing my experience working with them at my job at the hospital and talking to them during my volunteering. But I would highly recommend you shadow until you are confident enough to know what being a doctor will entail and be able to articulate that. In one of my interviews for a school, I was completely grilled for my 0 shadowing experience and none of the interviewers would let it go regardless of my extensive clinical experience. Personally, I find the whole shadowing thing inane because of its nature. You follow a doctor around and become the awkward wallflower when they see patients. It seems so pointless to me because it's only a glimpse into what being a doctor is like and it might not even be the kind of doctor that you want to be.

How can you formulate an opinion on shadowing without having done it?:thumbdown:
To me, shadowing is more quality than quantity. You could spend 300000 hours shadowing a doctor and get more shadowing a doctor for 300.

I agree. I think the point of having shadowing experience is not about the number of hours but to get an understanding and appreciation for what being a doctor is like. So as long as you can get that across, I think it should be fine. Then again, I havent even started applying yet but thats how I see the value given to shadowing

Shadowing is fine in moderation, but it can get boring after a while. I like to have something to do.

I shadowed a FP for 30 hours or so. Any more than that would have been overkill. I think 20-30 is the norm (and personally I think it's enough).

How can you formulate an opinion on shadowing without having done it?:thumbdown:

How can you formulate an opinion about medical school without having attended? How can you have an opinion about our next presidential candidate if you've never met them personally? How do you know a poop hot dog taste like **** without eating it? There are other ways to get the information you need besides experiencing it first hand. I've asked students on their opinions of shadowing and what they did. I've asked doctors what my responsibilities would have been if I shadowed them. Frankly, it doesn't go beyond the scope of what I already do in my job, so I see shadowing as a repetition of what I do already. If you need it to get a better idea of what it's like to be a doctor, then go for it. I've already stressed to the OP that it should be done. And I've already said it seemed to hurt my interview chances at at least one school. But what I'm saying is that after talking to a doctor for a few hours and asking him/her all the questions you can think of, you'll get a pretty good idea of what it's like to be a doctor. For things like surgery, you can watch it live on websites now, so you don't need to actually be in the room to know what it's like. It's not like shadowing is experiencing what it is like to be a doctor first hand anyway. You follow the real doctor around and watch him. If you want to do things medically related first hand, then that can be accomplished by volunteering in a clinic where you might be able to take basic vital signs and with a little training/certification cholesterol and glucose screening. Plus you'll learn the importance behind doing those things and informing patients of its importance. I don't see why med schools want to see so much shadowing experience on a students record. But again to the OP, do it. It's something they want because, if after all that inane shadowing, you still want to become a doctor, that sheer determination to do the inane as well as the interesting is what they want to see. Plus it does give you a chance for a non-science letter of rec.

How can you formulate an opinion about medical school without having attended? How can you have an opinion about our next presidential candidate if you've never met them personally? How do you know a poop hot dog taste like **** without eating it? There are other ways to get the information you need besides experiencing it first hand. I've asked students on their opinions of shadowing and what they did. I've asked doctors what my responsibilities would have been if I shadowed them. Frankly, it doesn't go beyond the scope of what I already do in my job, so I see shadowing as a repetition of what I do already. If you need it to get a better idea of what it's like to be a doctor, then go for it. I've already stressed to the OP that it should be done. And I've already said it seemed to hurt my interview chances at at least one school. But what I'm saying is that after talking to a doctor for a few hours and asking him/her all the questions you can think of, you'll get a pretty good idea of what it's like to be a doctor. For things like surgery, you can watch it live on websites now, so you don't need to actually be in the room to know what it's like. It's not like shadowing is experiencing what it is like to be a doctor first hand anyway. You follow the real doctor around and watch him. If you want to do things medically related first hand, then that can be accomplished by volunteering in a clinic where you might be able to take basic vital signs and with a little training/certification cholesterol and glucose screening. Plus you'll learn the importance behind doing those things and informing patients of its importance. I don't see why med schools want to see so much shadowing experience on a students record. But again to the OP, do it. It's something they want because, if after all that inane shadowing, you still want to become a doctor, that sheer determination to do the inane as well as the interesting is what they want to see. Plus it does give you a chance for a non-science letter of rec.

Your response made me laugh, it has its merits but its a little misguided, albeit too long.

I've never shadowed a doctor per se but I can see what kind of experience you could get from it. If your only shadowing a doctor clinically you only get half (sometimes less) the idea of what a doctor actually does. Most doctors (academia at least) have other projects, research, students, classes etc just to give you an idea of what sorts of things your missing out on. Doctors that run private practice are much different then ones that work for a large physician group, the specialties vary greatly. I personally believe that MD candidates should have 1000 clinical hours like PA's have too. The sad fact is most pre-meds have very little to no idea what it is to be a doctor and those people are the ones on this board who bitch 24/7.

I would shadow the same doctor as much as possible (without creeping them out), become friendly with them and find out what its really like both clinical and business (this may take an entire year) and then you should be ready to smash any and all interviews you have.

And I mean if you still want to be a doctor at that point your experiences will show that and you will blow your interviews out of the water. (assuming your statistics grant you interviews of course).

I have 0 shadowing experience so I think it has hurt my interview invites a little.
Disagree. I, too, have 0 hours of shadowing but have received 9 interview invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
After talking to several adcom members at different schools, the consensus was that it isn't the QUANTITY of your shadowing hours, but rather the DIVERSITY of your shadowing experience.

For example, instead of shadowing a single doc (say -- in family medicine) once a week for a year, it would look much better if you shadowed 6 different docs in 6 different specialties for 2 months apiece (with at least one being a PCP).

After talking to several adcom members at different schools, the consensus was that it isn't the QUANTITY of your shadowing hours, but rather the DIVERSITY of your shadowing experience.

For example, instead of shadowing a single doc (say -- in family medicine) once a week for a year, it would look much better if you shadowed 6 different docs in 6 different specialties for 2 months apiece (with at least one being a PCP).

Really? I don't see this as great advice. Sure I can see the benefits of shadowing a bunch of doctors (to find out if you really want to do medicine at all, and you have no idea what medicine is), otherwise I can't see this as outweighing one or two long term shadows to really find out the good and bad of being a doctor.

Lots of short shadowing leaves you with a relatively shallow understanding of any one specialty, but thats just me.

0 shadowing, 12 interviews.

Volunteering in a hospital is seen as pretty much the same thing - if you can make a good reflection about what you learned from it, thats really what theyre looking for.

But you seem to misunderstand some of the valuable information you can learn from being "a wallflower". Shadowing a doctor allows you to SEE the doctor interact with a patient. You can see something that a lot of people don't see until they're thrown into medicine. Seeing how to communicate with a patient, for example. Doctors are seen as some of the most intimidating people to meet and are more reluctant to tell them what is really going on when they interact with them. But, what if you shadowed a doctor that knew how to relieve that pressure? How to communicate well with that patient and succesfully interact with them? You do have good points, but there are some things you don't learn from just being in a hospital or from friends. That's what I gathered from my shadowing experience. Granted, if you shadow a surgeon or whatnot you may not have that, but shadow someone like a cardiologist in private practice and get something more than what your friends tell you.

Really? I don't see this as great advice. Sure I can see the benefits of shadowing a bunch of doctors (to find out if you really want to do medicine at all, and you have no idea what medicine is), otherwise I can't see this as outweighing one or two long term shadows to really find out the good and bad of being a doctor.

Lots of short shadowing leaves you with a relatively shallow understanding of any one specialty, but thats just me.

I don't think that op was meant to be taken 100%, but as sort of guidelines. If you feel that you've gathered enough information from that specialty in, say, 2 weeks, then move on to another specialty. Or that's what I gathered. Again, it's not about quantity, but quality.

To those who've shadowed: how open have you found doctors to be towards having a student follow them around for months, let alone a year? I just shadowed a doctor for a day and I can't even imagine asking him to hang around for a year.

Also, if you shadow multiple doctors, can you lump all your shadowing experience together on your app? Otherwise, it would seem like a better idea to shadow only a few doctors for longer periods of time considering the limited number of slots on your application.

How do you set up shadowing is where I'm stumped... Should I just grab the yellow pages and start calling or should I volunteer first and get to know a physician...

maikuMD- Try asking your PCP or if you have a friend or family member in medicine they could probaly set you up. Most PCP's could set u up with some one they refer to frequently if you want experiance in a certain specialty. Teaching Hospitals ushually welcome students to shadow as well! Good Luck hope this helped!

just try to have at least some shadowing experience...the more you do, the better it looks, cuz you have more clinical exposre...and as long as you have more shadowing experience than the next pre-med, you're good! lol

I think shadowing is pointless if you don't get anything more then "I saw this, I learned how to do this" sort of things.

Now if you by any chance learned about how the doctor had to miss his child's recital and the sacrifices he has made in order to be a XXXXX, I say you got something out of it.

Otherwise your just part of the herd.

I think shadowing is pointless if you don't get anything more then "I saw this, I learned how to do this" sort of things.

Now if you by any chance learned about how the doctor had to miss his child's recital and the sacrifices he has made in order to be a XXXXX, I say you got something out of it.

Otherwise your just part of the herd.

And that can be partly your fault. My opportunities have, I suppose luckily, been more than "saw this, learn that". I mean I did learn/see a lot, but there were also moments that were just really meaningful and taught me a lot that you would not get from word of mouth.